• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 680 unlocking the volts?

Caporegime
With EVGA precision X, I can get stable clocks of GPU offset of 170 with the mem boosted to 451 (maybe more on this but not tried).

What I do find frustrating is the volts slider. It will only go to 1.175 (at work so excuse me if that figure is wrong). Now if I put the fan onto full, temps will not go over 45C.

Now I know each card is chip dependant but does anybody else feel the card is capable of more? I personally do and would love to be able to up the volts at some stage and even add a waterblock to keep it cooler if needed.

Seeing Zotac releasing a 1.4ghz 680 only confirms what I suspected.

If anybody has any further info/links, I would appreciae it.

Will it be a proggy that could fix the volts or would it need to be a bios flash?

Caporegime
OP
I know mine is definitely capable of more, if I run heaven at +170 core it runs for a bit then somewhere in the bench it will crash, I just know a touch more volts will probably unlock over +200Mhz.

Given how dynamic the card is I'm not suprised you can't set a fixed voltage. What I would have liked to have seen is, much like the rest of the controls, a + voltage option.

On a separate note I love how these things crash, you just get a message about the d3d device being removed and you are back to desktop, lovely. No hard locks ever for me

I also like how it just crashes to desktop with that error. Also I have had "The driver has stopped responding and has recovered" I used to get that with my 560TI and a bios flash which slightly upped the volts cured that problem.

The workings of GPU's are well above my knowledge.

Caporegime
OP
lol. One thing I seriously don't care about is "low/mid/high range" The card is a beast and capable of being even more beastly.

Seems with that guy at techpowerup, not good then :(

Caporegime
OP
If truth be told, the card is top notch but I hate looking at the heaven 3.0 thread and seeing the top 3 cards :(

I know it is only a bench but man that does chew away at me....

Caporegime
OP
I am sure the real-world results for Crysis 2 and Batman AC will be consolation enough for Nvidia fans :>

My 7970 is screaming for mercy trying to catch the 680 at Crysis 2, she cannae take nay 'mare volts captain!

lol and fair point.

If I am even more truthfull....I actually would be happy to make 3rd, just so I get ahead of Dave Beast :D. I think he is 5 points ahead of me and on my last run it crashed on 25/26 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Still I did beat him in 3Dmark11 Score so fair I guess.

I hate you Dave Beast :p

only joking :D

Caporegime
OP
Guys over at Kingpin cooling modded a card to give lots more power and up to 1.5 (or was is 1.6V?) and got it stable at 1900MHz on LN2 :D

They also got it stable at 1400MHz/1.4V on air.

Set a new single card WR for 3DMark 11

I did link a while back to a Hard modded card which let them alter the volts. It does show like you say these cards have more in them.

Back
Top Bottom