Have you ever heard of an unmarked police car not pulling someone over, but them getting fined anyway?

Associate
I noticed in my rear view today a car, BMW, white. I thought it could be a police car because 90% of their unmarked traffic cars are BMWs and the guy appeared to have some kind of high vis on. The only thing I might have been doing wrong was 50 in a 40 (approaching an NSL). It stayed behind me for a while but then it lost me in traffic. Wasn't sure if it was a police car as the reg area code isn't one used by the local force but then I found out their traffic cars use area codes from all over which makes sense. Feel like only other explanation might be it wasn't a police car but there's a big road construction site nearby and it could be someone from that? Or maybe I just didn't offend them enough.

Soldato
The only 3 points I ever had on my licence were for doing 35 in a 30, caught by an unmarked police car that never pulled me over.

This was back in 2008ish so no idea if things have changed since.

Associate
OP
The only 3 points I ever had on my licence were for doing 35 in a 30, caught by an unmarked police car that never pulled me over.

This was back in 2008ish so no idea if things have changed since.
Interesting, was it like a speed trap thing like when they're parked up or were they behind you.

I've heard of cases where people are speeding and an unmarked car flashes their lights behind them but they're never given a fine.

Soldato
Yea I thought they usually pull you over at the time. If they just slap a fine in the post and someone appeals it will be a pain for them to come up with some evidence weeks later.

Traffic cops are pretty rare now and the other kind don't seem to care unless someone is being an obvious lunatic. There is an over-reliance on cameras to police the roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely a fine received in the post will notify the reason.

I have seen unmarked vehicles used in conjunction with mobile speed traps but there's also notice about mobile speed traps that you'd probably see.

Soldato
Interesting, was it like a speed trap thing like when they're parked up or were they behind you.

I've heard of cases where people are speeding and an unmarked car flashes their lights behind them but they're never given a fine.

From what I remember from the picture of my car, the unmarked car was behind me and wouldn't have been stationary.

Looking back, I probably should have challenged it as it seems like quite shaky grounds for a speeding fine but to be fair, I was doing the speed they said.

Soldato
If it even was a police car, there's a very good chance that they weren't too fussed about you doing 50 in a 40 and had other things to do. If you're going to pull over every car that's doing 50 in a 40mph when you're in an unmarked car you're pretty much not going to get anything else done in your day.

There's a much smaller chance that they'll send you a ticket through the post. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but most of the time officers will pull the person over, however there is absolutely nothing stopping them from sending you an NIP through the post, and downloading the footage from the car. In this day and age when a lot of forces have a focus on getting tickets, a small contingent of officers have been known to be very lazy and start issuing tickets like this. I really don't like it unless it's something really bad, and you're urgently going to something else and can't stop.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Unless they have calibrated equipment onboard IIRC they have to be able to prove they followed you for a minimum distance - something like 1/8th of a mile. As you've admitted to speeding through I suggest you present yourself to your nearest police station for a good... oh wait they've closed them all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
An unmarked car isn't necessarily even police, let alone roads policing. It's probably not worth worrying about any further.

True a lot of military, etc. organisations use what look like unmarked police cars (have radio equipment and blue lights, etc.) for response vehicles who aren't going to be pulling anyone for speeding.

Caporegime
just get a physicist to write a paper
If you ever run a red light, remember your closer to the light, so see it change before the cops behind you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd definitely be asking for the evidence of the offence if a random fine came through from an unmarked vehicle.
Surely a fine received in the post will notify the reason.

I have seen unmarked vehicles used in conjunction with mobile speed traps but there's also notice about mobile speed traps that you'd probably see.

True a lot of military, etc. organisations use what look like unmarked police cars (have radio equipment and blue lights, etc.) for response vehicles who aren't going to be pulling anyone for speeding.
It wasn't that it had equipment that I could see it's just he was in some kind of high Vis and driving a BMW. Thought I could see some kind of vest over the jacket too. But it doesn't like a car the local force use, having checked out their twitter.

Incidentally though apparently it's actually not expected for people to stop for an unmarked car, you're advised to pull over at a petrol station and if need be speak to the police control room. And I'm pretty sure they have to be double crewed. They have to be wearing police uniform if they're plain clothes they cannot stop people.

Last edited:
Soldato
They usually nearly always stop you there & then to prevent someone else taking the points for you! (new scam apparently being sold to those who need it by someone else taking the points as claiming to be driving your vehicle at the time!).

Associate
OP
They usually nearly always stop you there & then to prevent someone else taking the points for you! (new scam apparently being sold to those who need it by someone else taking the points as claiming to be driving your vehicle at the time!).
That's pretty wild. You'd have to be desperate (or stupid) to do that. Makes you wonder why with all the technology why front facing speed cameras are not used (or used more often) to prevent that happening

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom