HDD bay Bungee mod

Associate
Nice simple mod this one.

I'm not claiming originality here, just thought i'd share.

I used it as part of my "car boot" build to mount a Laptop HDD into a conventional HDD bay, but it would also work well with a SDD

Aside from the HDD rack and the HDD you're intending to mount the only other things you're going to need are some black cord elastic and a pair of scissors

20100719_001.jpg

Simply tie one end of the elastic to the back end of the HDD rack and then thread it back and forth across your rack being careful to keep it all on the same level. Don't cross the elastic over itself like you would if lacing shoes. keep the elastic pulled tight but not too tight as you're still going to need a bit of slack in there. When you reach the other tie it off nice and neat.

Having done this insert one end of the HDD or SDD between the first parallels of elastic crossing the elastic over the HDD to in order to give support to the drive. Had to explain but the pictures show what I mean

20100719_002.jpg

20100719_006.jpg

Job Done
20100719_009.jpg

Associate
OP
Damn you tealc, that's the last time I spend ages teaching you how to solder LEDs ;)

Seriously though no worries, if I can get a bit of thing going where others share there ideas and methods then all the better

I really like the top one, looks very minimalist

Bottom one though....Dodgy....That's all i'm saying....Dodgy

Associate
OP
An SSD makes no more noise than RAM (IE: none), so there's no need to do it from a silence point of view, but if you need somewhere to mount it and you don't have an adaptor, then it's a nice, easy, cheap method. Though for an SSD you could use string for the same effect if you really want it to be that cheap... :p

Its Actually an old HDD from a Lappy, which I do mention so does benefit from the bungee mod. I agree no real point with SSD

Great thread though. Maybe it'd be nice to get a general guides thread where only guides can be posted, not comments. Obviously it'd require a bit of moderation, but it could be a great success. Filled with things like spraying cases, classic mods like the drive bay stealthing and silence/performance mods/how-tos.

We asked for this a while back, and I think it was looked at. Tealc has done some excellent tutorials on LED mods which could really do with their own section. I've also put up a real simple fan painting guide. I think good though to have comments sections as it's handy for people to be able to say " yeah that's good but have you tried this?" sort of thing. It all adds to the sauce as thay say.

Back
Top Bottom