Headphone socket on iPhone query

Associate
I posted this in the Apple Hardware section but suspect there may be a few lurking here that may have some clues.

Recently got my iPhone 6 headphone socket replaced by a repair shop (non Apple) as original one got the tip of a headphone jack stuck in it.

Ever since, it seems that the iPhone no longer likes Apple headphones. However, works fine with none Apple stuff (convential 3.5mm headphones). I have a pair of E10S SoundMagics which have a handy switch on them for using them with either iPhones or Sony/older Samsung phones. Ever since the repair, I have to set the switch to "B" or non-Apple mode for them to work properly. If on the A (Apple) setting I get very weird audio. Almost like a load of channels are cut out but not quite an entire side.

Just need to work out what is needed for this to be fixed. Perhaps the shop put in a part that is wired in the non Apple way?

Associate
OP
Yeah, it sounds to me like it's been wired or connected wrongly. I don't know how Apple have the jacks on their devices wired, but I'm guessing it's different to the more common way of doing it.

I read somewhere the "ground" and "mic" sections are the reverse of the standard design. Will take it back tonight and see if they can re do it. If not, guess I can live with it! Bit weird owning an iPhone that can't use the official headphones though! But not massive problem. I just sometimes like them purely for the hands free mic. The E10S has one as well but it won't work with the iPhone in either switch setting now!

Back
Top Bottom