Headphones for Vive?

Soldato
I was thinking about this as my Fostex T40RP mkIIs with a few mods are just far too heavy to use in VR. Then realised I had a pair of Sennheiser HD215s still sat on the shelf and though not a great pair of headphones they are very light for a circumaural design.

All I have done in prep is get the shortest coiled lead I can to reduce the wire whippage!

Last edited:
Soldato
Still unsure if I should invest in an open headphone set or not. I've got Shure 215 sound isolation inear headphones which are fantastic, but not sure how suitable they'll be for VR.

Suppose I have tomorrow to order some lol.

Associate
Still unsure if I should invest in an open headphone set or not. I've got Shure 215 sound isolation inear headphones which are fantastic, but not sure how suitable they'll be for VR.

Suppose I have tomorrow to order some lol.

I've been looking into this a lot too, and it seems to be a bit budget dependent.

I think the consensus is with high-ish budget it's better to go for open, but closed can be more money efficient.

Such as the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm. Doesn't need an amp, just a decent sound card. And punches well above its price (and is closed).

Then again, people also rave about the Philips SHP9500. They seem to be the best entry-level open headphones.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking into this a lot too, and it seems to be a bit budget dependent.

I think the consensus is with high-ish budget it's better to go for open, but closed can be more money efficient.

Such as the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm. Doesn't need an amp, just a decent sound card. And punches well above its price (and is closed).

Then again, people also rave about the Philips SHP9500. They seem to be the best entry-level open headphones.

Budget isn't a huge concern to an extent, I've already invested a load into all the hardware, so want a set of headphones that'll perform really well and compliment it all.

After doing more reading last night, I will be going for some open ones. I just don't want to have to worry about requiring a DAC unit or amp, and ideally one that can be driven from the Vive itself.

Probably look at the Sennheiser HD 558 I think. Reading on Reddit, this seems to be more of a loaded question than even Vive or Rift lol.

Soldato
Budget isn't a huge concern to an extent, I've already invested a load into all the hardware, so want a set of headphones that'll perform really well and compliment it all.

After doing more reading last night, I will be going for some open ones. I just don't want to have to worry about requiring a DAC unit or amp, and ideally one that can be driven from the Vive itself.

Probably look at the Sennheiser HD 558 I think. Reading on Reddit, this seems to be more of a loaded question than even Vive or Rift lol.

I'm also thinking I'll be going with 558s. Also looking here: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd598-replacement-lead-3m.html there's a 50cm lead option which will do nicely (and what's another £20 at this point ~!)

Back
Top Bottom