Help identify this bulb

Soldato
I have five spotlights in my kitchen that are recessed under the kitchen units. A couple of bullbs have gone recently so I'm looking to replace them. Trouble is, I didn't put the lights in and there's no info on the bulb itself so I'm no sure what I need. Here's a pic:

nhBZf.jpg

After a bit of googling, it seems they are halogen capsule bulbs. Depending on what website I look at, they're also mention in the following acronyms/info: JC, bi-pin, G4, G6.35, G9...

Couple of questions:
- What do the G numbers mean?
- Are they cross-compatible?
- What wattage am I likely to need? There's no markings on the bulb. Obviously I don't want to get something too powerful for the fitting, but conversly I what to see what I'm doing!

Thanks for any help.

Associate
G4 20w

Could be a 5w or 10w but I doubt it for under unit lighting as that would be far too low. You probably wont find any above 205w as anything higher comes in a G9 form factor.

You can buy them in any local DIY shed or supermarket.

/Salsa

Last edited:
Associate
As a side note I would buy enough to replace all thebulbs in your under cabinet lights. From my experience when one goes the rest are soon to follow.

/Salsa

Soldato
OP
remember when fitting them dont touch the glass with your fingers
Thanks for the heads up. Just had a read up why you shouldn't. I pulled out a working bulb to check it was the bulb and not the fitting that was knackered so that one will probably go now too! Good job I bought a pack of 12!

Soldato
OP
Can you trace the wire back. it should end in a transformer which may have its output printed on it as you can get G4 lamps in 6,12,and 24 volts.
No the wire goes directly into the wall so without ripping out the fitting and part of the wall I can't tell. I got the 12V as these seem to be the most popular.

If they're actually recessed in to the cabinet then you should only put in 10w due to heat dissipation, or lack of it.
No, the fitting is just stuck on the underside. It's about an inch thick. I suspect it's designed to be recessed into the ceiling, but they've just stuck it under the work surface. Looks like a bit of a bodge job tbh but you can't see it unless you get under there.

Back
Top Bottom