Holy cow!

Soldato
I just received a Gear VR and set it up. My god, it's amazing isn't it?? :eek:

I've only looked at a handful of static 360 photos of places in the USA so far, and it's jaw dropping how much depth and full size it gives. You really are transported there. It's all low res and not very sharp which is a pity, but nevertheless, I almost started walking up a path towards a door in a photo then remembered, it's not real :p

The headset tend to push on the nose bridge of my glasses which is a bit uncomfortable. Can't imagine how mind blowing the high res Rift and Vive will be. I haven't looked in the oculus store yet, is there a roller coaster ride I can try?

If I buy the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive will I have any chance of being able to run it on my laptop? It's a 2011 Dell Vostro 3550 with i5 2410M 2.3Ghz and AMD 6630M and 4GB ram.

Soldato
A friend at work just bought one too and I just had a go. We watched the David Attenborough (sp?) with a Dino' video. That was pretty cool. I can't wait for the Rift and Vive even more now :D

Soldato
Zero chance of Rift or Vive VR with a laptop that doesn't either have a desktop class GPU, or an external solution.

Soldato
OP
Zero chance of Rift or Vive VR with a laptop that doesn't either have a desktop class GPU, or an external solution.

Looks that way :(

I'm using the AMD graphics card but it's still saying intel family.

VR_test_intel.jpg

Hmm, my desktop, which hasn't been used for ages, has an AMD 5850 extreme and a Phenom 550BE. I don't suppose they'll cut it either. Gonna have to upgrade.

Associate
I tried Gear at my local Samsung store and was distinctly unimpressed. The screen door was really obvious and I didn't get any sense of depth. I wasn't expecting much as I know it's based on looking at a standard phone screen, but I hope the Vive is better...

Soldato
OP
Depends what you watch. Many 360 videos I watched are terrible quality. But I downloaded a couple of free things from the Oculus store that are very impressive. 'Invasion!' which is a short CGI animation with a huge white rabbit, a spaceship and aliens. And an interactive animation called 'Rose'. The sense of depth, size and distance on these is really incredible. I don't understand how so many people are unimpressed with the Gear. Looking past the low res, the experience is still jaw dropping..

Back
Top Bottom