Home Cinema System on a budget.

Associate
Ok i have been looking at the Samsung Q990C but also a home cinema system. I have a budget of £500-£1300 so would like some recommendation's on a 5.1 system. Could i get a dolby atmos setup or just 5.1 surround sound? TIA

Caporegime
What sources will you be using? Not much point in an Atmos capable system if you’re watching DVD’s and base level Netflix.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Just get the Q990C, it's a fantastic system and will give you far more for your buck than a cheap AV separates system.

I should know as I sold up most my fancy AV stuff after getting the Q990B and a Q930.

It's not quite as good, especially when comparing to powerful dual subs or in music, but for TV/Film watching the soundbar system is excellent. The ATMOS effects work really well once you've set it up and you never have to worry about endless tweaking or random AVR issues again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just get the Q990C, it's a fantastic system and will give you far more for your buck than a cheap AV separates system.

I should know as I sold up most my fancy AV stuff after getting the Q990B and a Q930.

It's not quite as good, especially when comparing to powerful dual subs or in music, but for TV/Film watching the soundbar system is excellent. The ATMOS effects work really well once you've set it up and you never have to worry about endless tweaking or random AVR issues again.

Lol

Last edited:
Associate
There shouldn't be many random AVR issues with a modern Marantz or Denon. They're pretty solid in their functionality these days.
The good thing about separates is you can upgrade bits at a time. After a few upgrades you can have a seriously decent system.

Soldato
There shouldn't be many random AVR issues with a modern Marantz or Denon. They're pretty solid in their functionality these days.
The good thing about separates is you can upgrade bits at a time. After a few upgrades you can have a seriously decent system.

Yup . Which is what I done. Started off with avr and kef coda added integrated amp then av processor more speakers and amps and sub then lots more speakers and lots more subs new AV pre now 9.3.4

Soldato
If you want full Atmos then you'll be looking at denon 6700 or Denon 6800.

I don't think 4700/4800 has all the amps for all heights you'll need two/four channel amp as well?

Last edited:
Associate
Depends if you're doing rear surrounds as well as wanting all 4 atmos speakers.

You can do 5.1.2 on a Cinema 70, it has 7 powered channels.
Denon 3800X has 9 amps, so can give you 7.1.2 or 5.1.4.

Soldato
Chasing apparent "upgrades" is always a good one. It becomes like some weird addication in this hobby and comes with loads of man maths and positive reinforcement on buying decisions.

Then you just end up with a room full of speakers and equipment everywhere, unless it's integrated well into the walls with cables hidden.

If someone wants to get a home cinema system it's best to grab 2nd hand kit (with separate power amp), then focus on setup with room correction/setup and sound treatments (be it rugs, curtains, WAF acoustic panels with prints/art on them). Then enjoy it and forget about upgrades and anything else for many years to come.

It's inefficient to start with some small cheap speakers and wee subs, then immediately look to upgrade, which inevitably happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not immediately but in medium time frame is re use them. Ie buy sw-150 , use in main system use for a cpupke of years decide on next sub upgrade budget, style, style, driver size, IE then buy svs pb2000 pro. Move the sw-150 to a or bedroom pc system , get wiim amp for second room upgrade crappy flat Panel in that room

Soldato
The Focal sub Evo isn't too bad for the price.

Grab the 5.1.2 package off eBay. Currently £75 off so it's £654

Paired with the SONY TA-AN1000 it actually works really well as has their 360 spatial mapping software and will run you about £1400 for the lot.

If you call Richer Sounds they'll probably do some form of deal and you may be able to demo it as I heard the above myself and was actually quite shocked with how big the sound stage actually is and the speaker quality isn't too bad.

Other stuff could recommend but goes way above the budget so have tried to keep that in mind and it will definitely still beat any soundbar system.

Back
Top Bottom