Home Server Setup

Associate
Hi all,

so i'm really green to servers in general so this is a daunting process at the best but bare with me.

I work from home, and store most of my documentation on my PC in the office. Nothing is really sensitive but that's where it is.
I also 3d print, all of those files (which are large) are also on that PC
I play the odd game - wouldn't say i'm much of a gamer as all the stuff I play is pretty old, but I do that on that PC too.

Wife works in our other home office
She likes to play games on the laptop whilst sitting in the lounge

I also like to sort 3d prints from my laptop when i'm in the lounge rather than always having to go into the office.
It would be nice to play some 2 player games with the wife.

I was thinking about....

bringing the desktop into the lounge, perhaps upgrading the GPU a touch and adding wireless HDMI monitor, so we've not trailing leads and she can play on that.
I will replace it for myself with a gaming laptop that I will have a dock in the office for, so when I want to play with her I can bring it in the lounge, and when I want to print etc I can use the laptop.

I would then like to setup a central server for all my files so I don't have to have everything stored on a laptop hard drive, I can have it on the server and access it where I want when I want the info

will this work? or am I better off putting a larger hard drive in the desktop, and give access to it across the network (if that's possible)

don't really know what i'm doing but hopefully you can help

Back
Top Bottom