Honours awarded after this Olympics

Soldato
Brailsford is in charge of British Cycling. Boadman has a much more minor role.

Brailsford is responsible for getting the athletes to perform at their best. (He is "performance director")
Boardman is reponsible for getting their euiptment to perform the best. (He is "R+D manager")

Each is equally responsible for the Team GB success IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Brailsford is responsible for getting the athletes to perform at their best. (He is "performance director")
Boardman is reponsible for getting their euiptment to perform the best. (He is "R+D manager")

Each is equally responsible for the Team GB success IMO.

Fair point! Guess we'll see what happens!

Soldato
Is Boardman involved in Team Sky?

I'm not sure. Team Sky dont produce their own bikes/wheels/etc like britishcycling do, so i dont really see him being as much use there.

Also, who was the guy that was always track-side? Head Coach?
I think most of the teams/individual athletes have their own coaches, who will usually be track-side (especially in the long pursuits where they need somebody to help let them know their time/pacing). Brailsford was in the centre of the track, we saw him arguing with the commisaires a lot each time Vic was relegated :p

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Boardman already announced that he is leaving British Cycling as of the end of the Games. So I would think his greatest chance of being awarded one will be now, rather than in future where he will be doing less work. There is no doubt that he has done a lot in the UK for the sport though.

I don't expect much to change with Victoria Pendleton's title anytime soon. I would think a lot will come down to what she does with her life after competing. I would think she probably wants to relax and start a family. However, it's already been said that she is likely to be earning vast sums of money a year still in promotion deals, as well as the corporate talks circuit. I think if she dedicates her time to promoting cycling still, especially inregards to helping women get into it (which she has already started doing) I think she might become Dame eventually.

Caporegime
OBE for Laura Trott, Ennis and possibly Rutherford. Kelly Holmes is a Dame, and she has only had the same amount of Olympic success as Trott. Denise Lewis is an OBE with one gold medal. Their records in other championships may be good, but the honours committee only really look at Olympic Gold.

Peter Charles and the other young showjumpers will be MBE's. Skelton is already an OBE.

MBE's for gold medal rowers. In fact, every gold medallist will be honoured in some way or other. The public will demand it after such a glorious sporting summer.

Soldato
OBE for Laura Trott, Ennis and possibly Rutherford. Kelly Holmes is a Dame, and she has only had the same amount of Olympic success as Trott. Denise Lewis is an OBE with one gold medal. Their records in other championships may be good, but the honours committee only really look at Olympic Gold.

Peter Charles and the other young showjumpers will be MBE's. Skelton is already an OBE.

MBE's for gold medal rowers. In fact, every gold medallist will be honoured in some way or other. The public will demand it after such a glorious sporting summer.

I agree with this.

But I also want King Chris Hoy, get rid of the queen, it's time for a new monarchy. ;)

Man of Honour
Chris Hoy can be given the Knights Grand Cross to upgrade his existing honour...

Pendleton should probably get a Dame-hood out of this, but you never know.

Laura Trott will do well out of this, too, as will Ben Ainslie and Bradley Wiggins. The rowers will get a nod as well.

Back
Top Bottom