** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

Soldato
Reading this thread is like visiting the avforums, that extra thick +5mm £100 cable i bought increase the heard density of the bass by 0.3% of an ohm and it sounds so much better for the 2 seconds that is happening. Oh yes and my new screen is lighter by 1% and I can notice it because I am senstive to light while zoomed in at 900% moving it left to right, did you see that little sparkle, actually no i didn't I was too busy killing some stuff and enjoying the game

Sometimes you need to enjoy looking at the tress and forest without worrying about the bark, life is too short and one day you will not be here any more, enjoy it while it lasts don't waste it on crap, if you aint' 60 yet when you are, look back at this rubbish and realise wtf was I doing, now I can't see anything, can't grip anything and have rsi but at least the sparklies are good eh..

Yep, I made the same point about the AV forums with regard to 4K's and people freaking out over this and that in light of recent poor Cameron transfers. I spent some time on there researching TV's etc a year or so ago. It was chock full of incredibly knowledgable people none of whom were never satisfied with anything they were watching because they could spot every little inconsistency and everything they'd trained their brain to think mattered when you're watching a film. They had absolute taken all joy out of their own hobby, which at one time must have been home cinema, but now had been transformed into chasing the ultimate picture, and then arguing about it on the internet.

Music lovers turned audiophiles, film buffs turned IQ-philes, and gamers turned screenshotters.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I only do main quest when I run out of side quests. I actually did this main quest by accident. Thought it was a side quest. Then when I got started and realised I thought oh why not.

I plan on exploring the map next. I tend to enjoy finding all the fast travel save points. That way later if there is a mission I want do I don't need spend ages trekking there when it is on the other side of the map. Once I find them all and finish exploring an area I move to another tallneck and do the same.

What have you been sticking you skill points in? For me all into the bow and arrow.

Associate
I only do main quest when I run out of side quests. I actually did this main quest by accident. Thought it was a side quest. Then when I got started and realised I thought oh why not.

I plan on exploring the map next. I tend to enjoy finding all the fast travel save points. That way later if there is a mission I want do I don't need spend ages trekking there when it is on the other side of the map. Once I find them all and finish exploring an area I move to another tallneck and do the same.

What have you been sticking you skill points in? For me all into the bow and arrow.

Yeah all bow and arrow for me so far, it's a slow start but once you get out there it is great.

Associate
There is a balance and pixel peepers and ear lobe losers miss out on the best part, the enjoyment, they can never enjoy, they see what they want to see regardless and can never really enjoying it, yet make it seem the rest of us are mad because we cannot see it.

Bit like pumping the missus and complaining she has a few grey hairs even though the lights are out.

Enjoy the good and forget the bad....
I get what you're saying, but progression in technology requires people to say "this isn't good enough, we need to make it better". Either from users or the engineers making the products.

I think the game looks great btw, enjoying it a lot :)

Associate
I get what you're saying, but progression in technology requires people to say "this isn't good enough, we need to make it better". Either from users or the engineers making the products.

I think the game looks great btw, enjoying it a lot :)
That's engineers though, not the hoi poloi. Gamers should game and enjoy it or do something else not nit pick for hours,days adn weeks on end about the minutaie.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Bow and arrow too here but skills need to go toward survival too!

Will be working on that next. Almost done with bow :D

That said. I only died once so far and that was me killing myself with no enemies around. Actual just remembered, I also jumped of a cliff by pressing the wrong button last night :o

Caporegime
Very nice reshade!

However the HDR in this game is still off, some areas are blinding bright and the HDR adjustment just doesn't work ( even with the fix ). Why couldn't they just do HDR adjustment in game

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They do, it's called DLAA :p

It's a non starter for games using ray reconstruction though since DLAA doesn't use the tensor cores and RR requires them to work, so yeah DLAA is purely an AI enhanced AA method.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Very nice reshade!

However the HDR in this game is still off, some areas are blinding bright and the HDR adjustment just doesn't work ( even with the fix ). Why couldn't they just do HDR adjustment in game

Install reshade and add "lillium's HDR shaders", then in that use the tonemapping one to set the peak static brightness level to your monitor's peak HDR brightness.

Both Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War had similar 'errors' which meant the HDR was tone mapped to 10,000 (yes 10 thousand!) nits by default. This relatively simple reshade shader tweak fixes it.

However, I just don't know what devs are smoking these days, I swear they must be making games bad on purpose - I don't see how they can be so consistently incompetent. It's ******* pathetic we have to do these basic fixes ourselves but there you go. If anyone is interested these HDR fixes are out there, but you have to go the extra mile and tune things yourself.

This is why RTX HDR has so much potential. Once it's fine tuned this will be the go to way to get proper consistent HDR in games for most people as it will be easy and will just work. The game devs don't seem to have a clue when it comes to implementing HDR properly in their own games. It's shameful.

Last edited:
Associate
Install reshade and add "lillium's HDR shaders", then in that use the tonemapping one to set the peak static brightness level to your monitor's peak HDR brightness.

Both Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War had similar 'errors' which meant the HDR was tone mapped to 10,000 (yes 10 thousand!) nits by default. This relatively simple reshade shader tweak fixes it.

However, I just don't know what devs are smoking these days, I swear they must be making games bad on purpose - I don't see how they can be so consistently incompetent. It's ******* pathetic we have to do these basic fixes ourselves but there you go. If anyone is interested these HDR fixes are out there, but you have to go the extra mile and tune things yourself.

This is why RTX HDR has so much potential. Once it's fine tuned this will be the go to way to get proper consistent HDR in games for most people as it will be easy and will just work. The game devs don't seem to have a clue when it comes to implementing HDR properly in their own games. It's shameful.
Jesus man get a life.. like people are deliberately making bad games. i know lets do a poor job for ***** and giggles..those sort of comments really devalue your opinion in all ways. You use 1 commet to denigrate all programmers and developers, nothing worse than people like you imo.

Soldato
No decent developer goes out to make bad games on purpose. I've seen the same teams work on 1 star rated games and 5 star rated games. Same team, same talent, just some projects are bad ones that didn't play to their strengths, or had bad management.

Nixxes are probably the best dedicated PC porting team in the business but they have to work with code bases and games never designed for PC (the PC versions used for dev purposes are nowhere near a releasable version), with control schemes and UI designed for gamepad. This stuff isn't trivial to convert. So much of this stuff, especially UI and controls can be hardwired and difficult to unpick.

As far as FW is concerned it's a great port, but I do have issues with the controls still being based on the gamepad paradigm, with features like the grappling hook and special ability activation using gamepad style combos instead of dedicated keys, plus some hard bound controls which is disappointing. However very few PC ports of console games get this right.

Soldato
Jesus man get a life.. like people are deliberately making bad games. i know lets do a poor job for ***** and giggles..those sort of comments really devalue your opinion in all ways. You use 1 commet to denigrate all programmers and developers, nothing worse than people like you imo.

Those are strong words, nice to find someone with an actual opinion on ocuk for once.

"nothing worse than people like you" is a tad hyperbolic though if I may so. To show you how great I am, I can think of 3 things right now that are worse than me:

1. Cooked-up wars
2. You
3. Your mum. For having you

Now I suspect you may not do humour or irony (in case you're young or a communist, it's something we used to do in the past), so shall we get back to discussing this over-hyped game, that has a bad HDR implementation that could be fixed in 10 minutes if certain programmers ("certain", not all love) weren't lazy/ incompetent/ malicious. Pick whichever makes you happy in your no-criticism-permitted utopia.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom