How are 3d games handled by VR?

For example: Quake VR on Gear VR is a fully immersive experience. When I start the game in VR, it feels like I am within the game. It's a fantastic experience for such an old game. It gives it a new lease on life!

So if I were to buy an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, will they treat my first person shooters in the same way? Will I be fully immersed or will it be like playing on a cinema screen?

If it's the latter, then I don't really see much benefit in getting one as you would be required to buy specific games for it to work.

Soldato
its a mixed bag trying to run non-VR games in VR, if a game is properly supported by VorpX (e.g. you can decouple the view from mouse input) then it works really well

games that don't allow you to do that (which is most FPS games) I've given up on because it ends up, as you say, like playing on a big cinema screen, and despite saying that ATW works with these, they still end up looking way choppy to me as soon as you get any kind of FPS dip (I mean like 87fps instead of 90 and it goes to pot)

so yes, really, you need specific VR games for it to be worth it

I'm really looking forward to War Thunder in VR, which they are actively working on right now
probably the best fully featured games on the rift right now are Project Cars and DCS World (and possibly Elite if you like it, but I've gotten bored of the grind in that)

I still find myself defaulting to playing R6 Siege on the monitor though at the moment as its much easier to just pick up and play for an hour without having to get stuff all set up

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is one of the good things about id opening up the source on their older games - for the most part makes it trivial for someone to adapt them for full VR support.

Soldato
its a mixed bag trying to run non-VR games in VR, if a game is properly supported by VorpX (e.g. you can decouple the view from mouse input) then it works really well

games that don't allow you to do that (which is most FPS games) I've given up on because it ends up, as you say, like playing on a big cinema screen, and despite saying that ATW works with these, they still end up looking way choppy to me as soon as you get any kind of FPS dip (I mean like 87fps instead of 90 and it goes to pot)

so yes, really, you need specific VR games for it to be worth it

I'm really looking forward to War Thunder in VR, which they are actively working on right now
probably the best fully featured games on the rift right now are Project Cars and DCS World (and possibly Elite if you like it, but I've gotten bored of the grind in that)

I still find myself defaulting to playing R6 Siege on the monitor though at the moment as its much easier to just pick up and play for an hour without having to get stuff all set up
Thought war thunder was already working on the rift since you can pay it on the Vive using the rift option.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k6t_-XkJxxg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought war thunder was already working on the rift since you can pay it on the Vive using the rift option.

they had it working on and off with DK1 and 2, but they are right now working on native SDK1.3 support, at the beginning of this week they said something along the lines of taking about "a week or so", last I heard one of the patches broke DK2 support, so I was under the impression its not working at the moment

they have also said it will get official Vive support "eventually"

Last edited:
Associate
For example: Quake VR on Gear VR is a fully immersive experience. When I start the game in VR, it feels like I am within the game. It's a fantastic experience for such an old game. It gives it a new lease on life!

So if I were to buy an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, will they treat my first person shooters in the same way? Will I be fully immersed or will it be like playing on a cinema screen?

If it's the latter, then I don't really see much benefit in getting one as you would be required to buy specific games for it to work.

As stated above older games are definitely in the 'may or may not work' category and it's only down to intrepid third party clever peeps that will get them working. The way standard 3D games work doesn't always relate well in VR. HUDs or GUIs etc being out of view or the like.
Custom built VR games will be the awesome sauce :)

I did love playing Half Life 2 on the DK2. That was a nice experience.

Soldato
FPS games are a mixed bag, and I think they'll continue to be so, with folks having problem with VR sickness (fast FPS are particularly prone). Though I had no such issue playing HL2 and Minecraft on DK1. Alien Isolation wasn't so good on DK1 due to the poor resolution, and the game not designed completely for VR (although, very good effort).

High on my wish list but also high on the unlikely list, Doom VR. As in, the new Doom. Oh man...

Associate
I loved Alien Isolation too but the constant resetting (DK2) after the view drifted got boring very quickly.
Want to try this again with the new breed of VR headsets.

Associate
Wait for the inevitable id VR pack, once zenimax and whoever pull their fingers out and release a bundle for the VR masses. I'd bet it will come in late 2017 when they have nothing to release for a while

Back
Top Bottom