How do you install after market reversing camera?

Associate
Got one for free so why not.

I've got a fuse near my head unit for my reverse lights.

What's the best way of wiring it up?

It's all pioneer stuff if it matters

I was thinking put the camers at the back running the wires to the front. Piggy backing of the reverse light fuse.

Sound like a plan?

Soldato
Where though? Inside by the rear top light? Or above the number plate as central as I can get it?

I fitted a rear view camera that has the LCD screen over the rear view mirror. The rear camera is at the very rear of the roof lining at the top of the rear hatch pointing down so it acts as the rear view and the reverse camera. The rearwards visibility is pretty dire like a lot of modern cars.

For that reason it didn't need the red wire spliced into the reverse light wire but that's what you do if you only use it for reversing. Use a volt meter to check the fused wire is switching with the rear light and isn't just a ignition switched 12V feed.

The problem with mounting the rear camera outside the car is getting the camera feed back in the car plus not creating a water ingress. Unless it was some sort of wireless setup of course.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right got a pioneer nd bc8 camera.

It has two wires power and ground.

Can I I wire the head unit trigger wire and the camera power together and then piggy back them to my reverse fuse?

So the camera gets power and the headunit gets activated when I engage reverse?

Soldato
I've wired one in to the reversing light power before. The headunit (which was a Kenwood one I think) had an option to display it when the camera powered on. The camera mount replaced a number plate light (and has it's own light).

Last edited:
Underboss
my reverse camera i got off ebay for like a tenner, good thing about it is that it replaced the boot switch button, so it now has a button AND a camera, a straight swap, but this one just needed wiring to the reversing light and the video feed to the head unit

Back
Top Bottom