How high can a garden fence be? I need some advice before talking to neighours.

Soldato
My new neighbours took down the old fence a while back and have now fitted a new one while I've been at work.

The fence is a full height 6ft job along with ballast boards underneath making it about 2 meters high which I understand is the maximum height a garden fence can be. This isn't a problem. They want their privacy and we value ours.

The problem is about half way down the gardens 20m length it slopes downwards making the end of the garden lower than the begining. They have done the entire length of their new fence with a spirit level and have it running straight as a die from begining to end.

As a result by the end of the garden in our BBQ area, the bottom of their new fence is about a foot off the ground leaving a sizeable gap and the top is about a foot higher than the 2m maximum height. Not only will this restrict the light entering the back of the garden in summer, it doesn't look right. You really cannot see over it to other houses.

This is how it looks at the front, i.e. this is fine and I'm happy with this.
FenceStart.jpg

This is the problem appearing by the middle.
FenceMiddle.jpg

And this is what it looks like by the end in the BBQ area.
FenceEnd.jpg

Now before I go and have a word I would like to know I'm right about the height of fencing. It is a maximum of 2m high isn't it? And should the measurement be taken from his side or mine because not only are the gardens sloping down at the ends, they are also staggered by about half a foot in height due to the houses being on a slight hill like this.

GardenHeight.jpg

Soldato
OP
It's a really nice top quality fence, and they've nailed it in place which doesn't lead me to believe they are going to stagger the panels down with the garden slope any time soon.

The annoying thing is they took down the old fence back in May last year. All this time there has been no fence at all. Now they've done it and we can finally have some privacy they've done it like this, and now we still have a problem when it looked like it was being taken care of.

Soldato
OP
OK basically it is their fence. My fence is on the left hand side.

They didn't ask me about the support beams, but to be honest I'm not worried about those. As said I can hang some garden hanging baskets and we're planning on putting up some garden lights along there anyhow so it's going to look better in time.

On reflection I'm not going to complain about the height because it will cause bad blood if I ask him to take them down, and my GF doesn't mind it saying it just gives us more privacy.

What I will do is to ask him to fit additional gravel boards to fill in that bottom gap because apart from looking rubbish, as you can see our BBQ area at the back is filled in with loose stones and we cannot go up to our edge without something to go up too.

Back
Top Bottom