How VR Lenses work

Soldato
So the guys over at VR Lens Lab have created a video explaining how VR Lenses work, which, although not explained in the video, show why those who need corrective eyewear like glasses or contacts will still need them in VR, even if the VR lenses are close to their eyes.

http://vr-lens-lab.com/lenses-for-virtual-reality-headsets/

This is the first in a series of articles about the role of vision and optics in VR.

Today you learn how lenses for virtual reality headsets work but you first have to understand how our eyes work.

Our eyes have built-in lenses that sit behind the pupils, the black part of our eyes. On the back of our eyes we have receptors that translate the incoming light into useful information and enable us to see.

The job of the lenses in our eyes is to alter the incoming light in a way that it gets focused on our receptors on the back of our eyes. The lens bends depending on the distance between your eyes and the thing you are focusing on. If you look at something really close your lenses have to bend a lot to give you a sharp image. If you look at something in the distance the lens does not need to bend a lot.

That’s also why when you work a lot in front of a computer, you should take breaks at least once an hour and focus on something in the distance. This helps prevent eye strain because it gives your lenses a chance to relax.

As your eyes age the lenses become less able to bend and alter the incoming light, which is why teenagers can focus on things as close as 7 cm in front of their eyes but older people cannot.

So, we humans have difficulty looking at virtual reality head mounted displays (VR HMDs) that are 3 to 7 cm in front of our eyes. That’s why we need lenses in VR HMDs that bend the light and make it easier for our eyes to see. The HTC Vive uses Fresnel lenses and the Oculus Rift CV1 has hybrid Fresnel lenses to keep the lenses thin and bend the light in a way that helps us to see clearly.

Prescription lenses for glasses that fix problems such as astigmatism, myopia or hyperopia work in the same way. They correct the incoming light and make it usable for you again.

Check out the video below for more details and to understand the limits of our current Fresnel lens technology.

Thought it was a pretty interesting video, as even though I knew I would need to wear my glasses/contacts, this put it across in a nice way to understand.

Soldato
I haven't watched the video (at work) but iirc whether you need to wear your glasses depends on the reason why you need to wear them. For example the Oculus DK2 was focused to about 1.8m (I think - not sure on the exact number) so if you can normally see at that distance without glasses then you wouldn't need glasses.

I don't need glasses though so don't have any real experience [thinly veiled brag]

Back
Top Bottom