How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Permabanned
I've been a lurker for a while on the forums, but finally pulled the trigger with the whole brexit thing.

To move away from all the politics, so how will brexit affect you personally?

Our family has moved over the pond couple years ago... But we still have money in ISA'S and a property back in Cambridge... Value of both of those have seriously been hurt by exchange rate and possible upcoming reduction in house prices.

It is scary to think that the rate is predicted to hit 1.20 when couple years ago there was a time when I was pulling money from Halifax clarity at 1.70.

We are originally Lithuanian citizens who moved to UK in 2004 and naturalized in 2010, as a consequence we've been stripped of our LT citizenship's.

Even though that we will have US passports in next 2 years, its still pains me that the value of UK passport will go down substantially without EU. Although I find comfort in the fact that if by some chance EU becomes a super state nirvana I can always restore my Lithuanian citizenship by renouncing both UK and US citizenships in the future.

A benefit for us would be that our income is in $ and therefore trips to Europe to relatives are cheaper, my parents are flying back from europe tomorrow and the favorable exchange rate both against pound and euro saved few pennies as everything there was charged on US credit cards which use live rate.

As a sad side note, my parents ended up being verbally harassed over this weekend at a pub where they were having a meal, by being told to "go back home". I guess they did just that, happily.

Permabanned
OP
Another thread, really?

Okay, it will hit my pension fund in the short term. That's about it.

The other threads talk about politics and it seems like it ended up being a name calling match between two opposites.

This thread is just the good/bad impacts of brexit on YOU personally.

Permabanned
OP
It remains to be seen how it will affect my family. We are fairly exposed though if anything bad happens due to being a multinational family.
My partner is Polish (I am British) and we have a son who is eligible for dual nationality.
We travel back and forth to Poland several times per year so that is likely to become significantly more expensive.
My mother lives in Tenerife but that's kind of a special case with regards to the EU as it's a tax haven even though it falls under Spanish jurisdiction.

I think naturalizing for her would be the best way to go? Has she not met the residence requirements so far?

I'd file intend to remain, I forgot exact name... If she cant naturalize yet. Poland does not have laws against dual-nationality and hence its a win win.

Permabanned
OP
Is that a threat?

You will be sorely missed.

How did you determine that? From economical standpoint, anyone who contributes more to economy than takes out in benefits will be missed by everyone. On contrary, people who take out more than give, will not be missed

Do you know his/her financial net contribution to the economy to make such statement?

Permabanned
OP
You are not British, you are a Lithuanian exploiting the legality of nationality, both here in the UK and the USA. Superstate nirvana and you would be
renouncing both UK and US citizenships in the future. I hope Brexit keeps you're investments tied up. ;)

Why do you sound so spiteful? Exploiting legality of nationality? Look outside, its 2016 and its a global world. Foremost, my personal and family's well-being comes first, so yes if there is a nirvana superstate of EU that would allow for better life I`d bite in a heartbeat as majority of this forum.

Did you personally lose anything from my family "exploiting" legality of citizenship. Our family has paid so much in taxes and barely used any public institutions such as education and healthcare. I just found it hilarious that one odd comment about us packing bags and going home made by benefit chavs fails to realize that our taxes are paying for his Stella.

Why would you wish for our investments to get tied up? My parents worked their butts off to pay off the mortgage on our house and all the savings in ISA's.

Finally, my parents work has contributed to "Making Britain Great" why would you wish us any ill at all??

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Personally no, but collectively we all lose a little. Extra cars on the roads, extra housing pressure, extra planning, extra transport links, extra pressure on the employment market, lowering of wages, extra demand for goods, its just easier for government to import a work force than spend the money investing in a work local work force, them chav may have been doctors, teachers if government had invested in them.

I am not going to argue with you on the first paragraph you wrote as that is pointless. I respect your oppinion and our differences.

Second paragraph, this is a joke for those reasons:

- Collectively lose a little?? You throw out all foreign investment who 'add pressure' by buying houses, cars, spending money on clothes and restaraunts mind you paying 20% VAT which they rarely reclaim. By bringing outside money, strenghening Pound you would literally have UK economy go to stone age. Ridicolous point.

- Chav might be doctors? Have you ever travelled to countries like US?? UK already gave those chavs the best possible chance to become doctors. Free education, with cheap universities and even if you couldnt afford that, you could always go to another EU member state to study for next to nothing and easily transfer degree back. I suggest you go to US and try to become doctor by paying 250 000 in tuition fees alone with government loans covering barely any of that. Slap on healthcare costs and barely any assistance from the government and you're royally bummed out. Moreover, public education is a total joke here compared to UK and yet people still make it!! The chavs already got every single opportunity to do well yet they sat their ass on bloody sofa drinking their Stella.

So much opportunity has been given to them compared to the rest of the world, how much more do they need!? Not being able to compete with poor migrants who barely got any benefits from their governments is just a sign of being a total slob. They failed to make use of education to completely be in different work league to migrants and then they failed to be as hard working and commited as those immigrants. This is some bloody communism trying to protect these blood suckers of society if not Fascist since only reasoning behind it is because they're British.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom