HP Gen8 Microsever not detecting HDDs

Soldato
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my HP Gen8 Microserver. I stopped using it after my last hard drives failed. I backed up the data and stored the server away. A few months later, I got new drives but didn't bother setting up the server again. I installed the new drives (WD RED ) in my PC instead, with the intention of setting up Plex on my PC (which I never did). A few days ago, I changed my mind and powered up the Microserver again.

Despite deleting the existing array and attempting to establish a new one, the new drives remain undetected. The SSD running Windows functions properly, and I have attempted various troubleshooting steps, including clearing all arrays and deleting all data, to no avail.

Any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Soldato
Let's start with the simple stuff: have you checked that the SATA ports are still good - no insects or whatnot? Have you made sure that the cables are properly seated at both ends?

Soldato
OP
Let's start with the simple stuff: have you checked that the SATA ports are still good - no insects or whatnot? Have you made sure that the cables are properly seated at both ends?
Some dust but no insects, the only cables it has are on the mother board and to the ssd. the HDD just plug in.

Associate
Any hardware errors in Device Manager? Or you missing a drive or RAID controller driver or something?

In fact you don't say what this "array" is - storage spaces? Some other type of software drive clustering? Or are you using a physical card?

Associate
Is this a fresh install of windows?

Are all OS and Bios updates applied?

Has the drive been brought online?
Slap it in another PC to check it.

Soldato
OP
Any hardware errors in Device Manager? Or you missing a drive or RAID controller driver or something?

In fact you don't say what this "array" is - storage spaces? Some other type of software drive clustering? Or are you using a physical card?
It seam to be a hardware error, it was not detecting the drives,
thisYes the array was a storage space, I'm using so whatever is included as standard.

Is this a fresh install of windows?

Are all OS and Bios updates applied?

Has the drive been brought online?
Slap it in another PC to check it.
The drives work I tried them in my PC.

After resetting everything and still not getting them to show, I ended up opening up the micro server, I discommended the HDD cable and the SATA cable for the SSD, I reset the Cable for the HDDS, leaving the SSD disconnected and finally it detected the HDDS, unfortunately I need to setup everything again including installing windows.

I will update once I have time and find my copy of windows to install.

Fingers crossed things go well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom