HP Laptop, Windows 11, flickering black screen.

Soldato
Having an ongoing issue with a laptop that I can't solve. Hope some of the tech gurus here can give some advice.

History: Customer of mine opened a spam email by mistake. Was worried that he might have a virus so gave me call. I was away for a few days, so I told him to bring it into a local computer shop and get them to look at it. They serviced the laptop and everything was fine for a few days. Then the problem started.

The Problem: Windows will load up correctly and display the desktop as normal. But as soon as you move the mouse, the screen starts to flicker black or go completely black. You have to wait and give it a few seconds before it will go back to displaying the desktop as normal. Sometimes it will go completely black as soon as you move the mouse. Other times it will only let you load up some apps and then randomly decide to flicker black. The thing is, it will only flicker black when you are in that program but will work fine in other programs. Let me give you an example. When I brought it back to my office to work on it, it started fine and I was able to open up Word, Excel, firefox etc. no problems. Then I went to connect it to my wireless and as soon as I clicked on the box to put in the password, the screen started flickering black. Waited it for the flickering to stop and tried opening up windows explorer to see was there anything downloaded recently. It opened up explorer, but as soon as the mouse went into the Explorer window, the screen flickered.

However, most of the time it doesn't even let you load an app. As soon as you move the mouse after the desktop appears the screen flickers then goes black.

Things to Note: If I connect it to an external monitor, it works. The laptop screen is still flickering, but the display on the external monitor is perfect.

What I have tried:

1. First thing I tried was a USB mouse. Didn't make any difference. Screen still goes black.

2. Then I tried an external monitor. And I used this monitor to remove the graphic card driver and install the most up to date driver from HP. And this worked. When I rebooted the laptop the desktop displayed as normal on the laptop and everything was fine. Loaded up programs, no problem. No flickering or black screens at all. Rebooted the laptop loads of time just to be safe. Tested it for a couple of days, then gave it back to the customer. Where it worked for 5 days before starting to flicker again.

3. When I got the laptop back, I updated the BIOS and reinstalled every driver chipset etc. Also installed the latest GPU driver from Intel. Again this seemed to have to worked. I had it for a weekend. Did the updates on Friday morning, tested it the whole weekend. But when I checked it on the Monday morning just before returning it to him, it started flicking again.

4. I have used DISM and Scannow to see was there any system files corrupt. But no errors were found.

Where I am at now: Ok, this is a really odd problem. In my time trying to solve this I have noticed a few things. I am nearly positive it's not a hardware issue. The screen never flickers when it's booting up or in safe mode. Because it works fine in safe mode, it must be a driver problem. However, no driver has worked. Or to put it more accurately switching drivers works for a while. But, it's even stranger than that. I don't have to change anything. If it started flickering all I have to do is to boot into safe mode then boot back into windows and it will work properly for a random length of time. If it's flickering and I force a shutdown by holding the power button down and then boot it back up again, the flickering will be gone and again it will work for a few days.

The only constant is that it seems to happen after you shutdown the laptop normally. So I have asked him to leave the laptop powered on to see what happens.

I am probably at the stage where I will have to bite the bullet and reinstall windows. Just hoping that maybe somebody here might have some suggestions to try out before doing that. Maybe there is something obvious that I have missed.

Thanks for reading :)

Soldato
I can’t help but think this is some sort of intermittent issue with the display panel being honest.

What about booting a Linux live distro and using that for a bit to see if it happens?

Soldato
Make an image backup
Reinstall windows and see if it's sorted

By they serviced it
That include opening it up to remove any dust etc?
If so possible issue with the ribbon for the screen
Sometimes they get micro breaks in them
Moving or heating up can cause issues

Could also try a Linux live usb
Something like Ubuntu
See if what happens is replicated
Or a windows live usb

Safe modes a good indication it might be software issue
But in safe mode there's also less work
Being put on things like gpu

Intermittent issues are the worst
But if external monitor is OK and a live usb is ok
The screen ribbon has to be a suspect

Soldato
Out of interest which HP laptop is it? I know somebody with an HP laptop on Windows 11 and the screen goes weird, as though the signal is out of sync. Sometimes the images shifts to the left or right, sometimes it will flicker, sometimes it will go out. I've done everything with Windows and drivers bar a reinstall - which I've put off, because I thought it could be a hardware issue, despite the laptop being handled correctly all the time.

When they first told me about the problem I thought maybe the laptop had been mishandled or it was just a driver or user issue. But having seen it for myself in person I don't think it is and there's not really a cause or remedy for it. Once the laptop was sat on the table with nobody touching it and it started to act up.

Edit:
The below links are representative of what I saw and look identical to the laptop I looked at.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try uninstalling the most recent few Windows updates. (February preview from memory)

This caused similar glitches on my desktop, but I never got as far as trying to debug properly.
Just dumped the update off again....

Soldato
OP
I can’t help but think this is some sort of intermittent issue with the display panel being honest.

What about booting a Linux live distro and using that for a bit to see if it happens?
Make an image backup
Reinstall windows and see if it's sorted

By they serviced it
That include opening it up to remove any dust etc?
If so possible issue with the ribbon for the screen
Sometimes they get micro breaks in them
Moving or heating up can cause issues

Could also try a Linux live usb
Something like Ubuntu
See if what happens is replicated
Or a windows live usb

Safe modes a good indication it might be software issue
But in safe mode there's also less work
Being put on things like gpu

Intermittent issues are the worst
But if external monitor is OK and a live usb is ok
The screen ribbon has to be a suspect

Just answering both of these together. I don't think it's a hardware problem, at least not a faulty ribbon cable or connection. Because it's not heat related or movement related. The desktop is configured with all visual effects turned off. It's the most basic desktop setup possible. If the problem was happening only when programs were been run then maybe heat or work done by the GPU might be causing the issue. But the laptop black screens most of the time with only the desktop been loaded. And that's even with first boot.

Also, If it was heat related then the problem would fix itself if you left the laptop to cool down for a while. Whereas with this issue, once it starts happening, the only way to fix it is to do one of the three things I mentioned in my first post(a hard power down, go into safe mode then restart or reinstall the GPU drivers)

If it was movement related then surely it would happen eventually by just moving the laptop. But that's not the case. When I do a hard power down and restart it will continue working. It doesn't matter how much you open or close the lid, move the laptop around, even shaking the laptop hasn't made it stop working. It will continue to work as normal until one day you boot it up and it will start black screening as soon as you move the mouse.

I haven't tried a linux distro but just reading your conclusion Mcnumpty, surely if Safe mode is ok and the Live USB is ok, that means that the problem is within windows not the ribbon cable.

But thanks for the suggestions. Might give the Linux distro a try if the issue happens again. Problem is though, the issue always takes a a few days to show itself. The user has been without a laptop for a while now, not sure he will want to go more days without it when he can get it working himself with a hard power down.

Soldato
OP
Out of interest which HP laptop is it? I know somebody with an HP laptop on Windows 11 and the screen goes weird, as though the signal is out of sync. Sometimes the images shifts to the left or right, sometimes it will flicker, sometimes it will go out. I've done everything with Windows and drivers bar a reinstall - which I've put off, because I thought it could be a hardware issue, despite the laptop being handled correctly all the time.

When they first told me about the problem I thought maybe the laptop had been mishandled or it was just a driver or user issue. But having seen it for myself in person I don't think it is and there's not really a cause or remedy for it. Once the laptop was sat on the table with nobody touching it and it started to act up.

Edit:
The below links are representative of what I saw and look identical to the laptop I looked at.

Sorry can't remember the exact make. The reddit post looks kind of like what is happening. In his case though it was happening even in Bios screen. And it happened for him, even with nobody touching the laptop. Whereas in my case it never black screens in the bios or safe mode. And it only black screens when you move the mouse.

It's a weird one. In your case did you get it fixed with a reinstall or did you have to replace the laptop?

Soldato
OP
Try uninstalling the most recent few Windows updates. (February preview from memory)

This caused similar glitches on my desktop, but I never got as far as trying to debug properly.
Just dumped the update off again....

Thanks, will check the updates, but that has been happening since early January. But I am desperate at this stage. Are you sure it's the February preview update that the caused the problems? I didn't see that update installed in the history, but will look again and see.

Soldato
Sorry can't remember the exact make. The reddit post looks kind of like what is happening. In his case though it was happening even in Bios screen. And it happened for him, even with nobody touching the laptop. Whereas in my case it never black screens in the bios or safe mode. And it only black screens when you move the mouse.

It's a weird one. In your case did you get it fixed with a reinstall or did you have to replace the laptop?
It's a bit of an ongoing thing, but this HP laptop flickers just like yours in the BIOS screen too. I've yet to reinstall Windows, but I just might give it a go when I have some time.

Soldato
So it worked perfectly before the local computer shop
Got their hands on it?

After The length of time already tried fixing stuff
I would suggest just reinstall windows
Assuming anything important on there they have backups?
Or if system restore is turned on
Restore it to a point before there were any issues

Soldato
OP
So it worked perfectly before the local computer shop
Got their hands on it?

After The length of time already tried fixing stuff
I would suggest just reinstall windows
Assuming anything important on there they have backups?
Or if system restore is turned on
Restore it to a point before there were any issues

Yeah. It worked fine before the local computer shop got their hands on it.
But it worked fine for about a week after they returned it.

It's been annoying because each time I did
something I thought I had it fixed.
Would have liked to have solved the problem.
It's a personal thing :)

I am getting him to see what happens
if the laptop is never turned off.
Just the display going to sleep.

After that will more than likely reinstall windows.
Thank you for your help.

Just curious, does writing like this make it easier
for you to read?

Soldato
Yeah. It worked fine before the local computer shop got their hands on it.
But it worked fine for about a week after they returned it.

It's been annoying because each time I did
something I thought I had it fixed.
Would have liked to have solved the problem.
It's a personal thing :)

I am getting him to see what happens
if the laptop is never turned off.
Just the display going to sleep.

After that will more than likely reinstall windows.
Thank you for your help.

Just curious, does writing like this make it easier
for you to read?
Yeah my brain thinks in stops and starts lol
So kind of type
The way my brain is statacco
Anything in blocks of text like some of your original post
I have to reread it multiple times
Otherwise my brain just doesn't see all the words or something
Luckily by now most of the guys in here are used to me
And my weird typing style
Main thing is if what I type is helpful
Rather than how I type it I guess

Soldato
Thanks, will check the updates, but that has been happening since early January. But I am desperate at this stage. Are you sure it's the February preview update that the caused the problems? I didn't see that update installed in the history, but will look again and see.
By no means certain it was the February one, it was the most recent preview at the time, which was late Jan / early Feb.

Unfortunately I've got massive amounts of cruft running on this install or I might be able to give you a better idea of the program thats triggering it..

Back
Top Bottom