HP Microserver Hibernate

Associate
Hi All,

Have a quick question for all y'all.

On a quest to save power and to try and preserve my hard disks (2x3TB WD Green), I've scheduled my HP MicroServer to hibernate from 00:00 - 15:00 for when I get home.

It's currently running Windows 2012 (yes I know servers aren't supposed to go to sleep/hibernate) but is this going to cause any system/hardware related problems.

I've not ran into any problems as of yet and as far as I'm aware it shouldn't cause any issues but I thought I'd double check.

Associate
OP
To enable hibernation you need to run;

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

Then setup a scheduled task to run when ever you want it to go to sleep. You can tell it to run a VBS, Batch file etc... or just give the task the command line;

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /h

Then create another task to run any application you want (at the desired time). I just tell it to run a blank batch file. Make sure you tick "wake the computer to run this task".

For both tasks you also need "run whether user is logged on or not".

The PC won't wake up at exactly the time you want as it takes a few minutes to start, for mine I set it to wake at 15:00 and it usually comes online at about 15:02.

Associate
OP
To enable hibernation you need to run;

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

Then setup a scheduled task to run when ever you want it to go to sleep. You can tell it to run a VBS, Batch file etc... or just give the task the command line;

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /h

Then create another task to run any application you want (at the desired time). I just tell it to run a blank batch file. Make sure you tick "wake the computer to run this task".

For both tasks you also need "run whether user is logged on or not".

The PC won't wake up at exactly the time you want as it takes a few minutes to start, for mine I set it to wake at 15:00 and it usually comes online at about 15:02.

Back
Top Bottom