HP Omen Transcend - 32" OLED, 240Hz, KVM, 140W PD

Man of Honour
i hate to say it but all this “overclocking” sounds very dubious to me. Inputting a res above the panel native has very limited benefit, especially when the panel here is already 4K. I could see some potential value if it was a 1080p display, much like technologies like NVIDIA DSR.

Increasing the refresh rate above the panel native will almost certainly just result in instability and dropped frames, unless it’s a specific overclocking mode that the panel and scaler support

The other problem of course here is that even if you did buy a monitor with DP 2.1, you may not have a graphics card that supports it anyway right now :)

Associate
OK, but why?
Because you're able to playback/record content at 4K on a 1080p screen, for me it was useful for capturing and playback of live sports content at 4K without having a 4K monitor, native or not, the streaming software let me playback at 4K once it thought I was on a 4K device.
i hate to say it but all this “overclocking” sounds very dubious to me. Inputting a res above the panel native has very limited benefit, especially when the panel here is already 4K. I could see some potential value if it was a 1080p display, much like technologies like NVIDIA DSR.

Increasing the refresh rate above the panel native will almost certainly just result in instability and dropped frames, unless it’s a specific overclocking mode that the panel and scaler support

The other problem of course here is that even if you did buy a monitor with DP 2.1, you may not have a graphics card that supports it anyway right now :)

Yes it may not work, it's more a curiosity itch for my purchase and may not be possible at all or until said graphics card is available.

Soldato
Bandwidth:

• DisplayPort 1.4: 32.4 Gbps
  • DisplayPort 2.1: 80 Gbps
DisplayPort 2.1 offers nearly triple the bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.4, making it capable of supporting significantly higher resolutions and refresh rates.

Encoding:

• DisplayPort 1.4: 8b/10b encoding
  • DisplayPort 2.1: 128b/132b encoding
The encoding scheme used by DisplayPort 2.1 is more efficient, allowing it to achieve higher data transfer rates with less overhead.

Concurrent LT for Multiple Repeaters:

• DisplayPort 1.4: Trains repeaters one at a time
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Trains repeaters concurrently
This feature in DisplayPort 2.1 significantly reduces the time it takes to train multiple repeaters, which can be beneficial for long cable runs. See DisplayPort 128b132b Concurrent LTTPR Link Training for more details.

Forward Error Correction (FEC):

• DisplayPort 1.4: Optional
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Mandatory
FEC helps to ensure the integrity of data transmission by correcting errors that may occur during the transmission process.

Panel Replay (PR):

• DisplayPort 1.4: Not supported
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Supported
Panel Replay allows the display to store and replay static images, reducing power consumption.

Single Stream Transport (SST) and Multi-Stream Transport (MST):

• DisplayPort 1.4: SST is mandatory, MST is optional
  • DisplayPort 2.1: MST is the default; SST is optional through falling back to DisplayPort 1.4 link rates
Multi-Stream Transport (MST) allows a single DisplayPort device, i.e., GPU, to drive multiple displays.

Aux-Less Advanced Link Power Management (ALPM):

• DisplayPort 1.4: Not supported
  • DisplayPort 2.1: Supported
ALPM helps to reduce power consumption by allowing the DisplayPort link to be powered down during periods of inactivity.

Benefits of DisplayPort 2.1:

• Supports higher resolutions and refresh rates
  • More efficient: 128b/132b encoding scheme more efficient vs 8b/10b encoding
  • Better reliability: Forward Error Correction ensures data integrity
  • Reduced power consumption: Panel Replay and ALPM features

Whether or not it suits your use-case is up for debate, but I'm waiting on the DP 2.1 Gigabyte model to see what I can get up to with Custom Resolution Utility + MonInfo and perhaps be able to go 241-480hz+ or more on the panel at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 (breaking my warranty of course in the process, if anything goes wrong)

as well as potentially 8k at 120hz or higher i
Yes benefits but not for this monitor…

Associate
Yes it may not work, it's more a curiosity itch for my purchase and may not be possible at all or until said graphics card is available.

I had one of the first batch Yamakasi 27” that could do 120hz+ when OC’d and ran that for years at 130hz

I’ve never found any other monitors that could be OC’d in the same way as that though.

Those 240/480hz models sound like my dream and if any of these OLED allowed that I’d be on them straight away

Associate
I had one of the first batch Yamakasi 27” that could do 120hz+ when OC’d and ran that for years at 130hz

I’ve never found any other monitors that could be OC’d in the same way as that though.

Those 240/480hz models sound like my dream and if any of these OLED allowed that I’d be on them straight away
Right now the only one that will ship like this is the LG 32GS95UE-B and an upcoming Asus model I believe.

But thats 240hz 4k 480hz 1080p

Last edited:
Soldato
They updated the article a few days later and the FO32U2P is going to be $1,400 while a version FO32U2 with DP 1.4 instead will be $1,200. If the DP spec changes are the only difference $200 seems steep!!

It's been discussed before that implementing full DP2.1 is expensive so the price difference makes sense.
Shame that the monitor in question has literally zero benefits using 2.1 though. Maybe in the future with newer monitors and graphics cards there will be a perceivable benefits, but it's not the case yet

Man of Honour
HP update: this monitor is not coming till December 2024

Which makes it DOA cause 1 months later 5th gen qd OLED models will be announced
It’s very late to the party I agree based on the current ETA of Dec 2024 but saying that it’s DOA I think it a bit over the top. there are no current plans for updated 32” panels from either Samsung or LG Display on the roadmaps so the current panel options are likely to remain for a while. Samsung are also only on gen 3 this year, it will be gen 4 next year (in all likelihood), but like I say, no confirmation or any different 32” modules yet

Soldato
OP
Yeah, pointless. The next lot of models won’t be far behind. I don’t know why companies bother with shows like CES, just announce on your own time when you’re a month or so from release.

Back
Top Bottom