• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

hyperthreading ? is it reallu useful ??????

Associate
Hi , Im wondering how useful hyperthreading really is , depending on what you want to do, for example :-

i have a quad core and multi task with lots of different apps , fine , i can see the use there , but .......

using a quad core already allocates threads to cores....

next example , and heres the kicker .....

i am using a multithreaded rendering app with my quad i7 , surely the rendering app will try to use the 4 *ghost* cores to perform the same calculations as the real 4 cores , the only trouble is that the *ghost* cores will need the actual electronics of the cpu that the real cores are using at the same time , in example 2 would there be a benefit to turning off hyperthreading ?????

also would turning it off lower temps ?????

opinions ??????

Associate
OP
well it seems that starting this thread has lead to some interesting viewpoints , i built (and am currently waiting for my x58 sabertooth rma'd mobo) a new rig with a core i7 950 , 24gb of ram and dual ssds in raid and gtx 460 oc, with 3d modelling in mind , i couldnt see much of a speedup in rendering times with HT on so i turned it off , but it seems that (when i get my board back) i should leave it on ...........

Back
Top Bottom