I think i damaged my mobo

Soldato
Got hold of a x570 MSI Gaming pro CARBON WIFI recently,long story,never mind
anyway i think i have broken the #2 memslot,slot 4 works ok but when both 2+4 are used i get restarts quite often when gaming
BUT memtest with 2 sticks passes hours of testing,cpu passes,gfx benchs fine too.Quite possible i had the cooler tightened too much :(
Wiggling the #2 stick gently restarts instantly
Now to my question,do i get a new mobo (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-plus-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-35a-ms.html) i am thinking this.Can i just put my 5800x3d straight in with 2 sticks of 16GB ram and my nvme with W11 and expect it to work driver and chipset wise??

OR i will have my old Gigabyte Aorus x470 wifi i can use but i expect i will have to reinstall W11 and apps etc(would using this be a massive downgrade being as it is gen3 as opposed to gen4 pcie?
Long post thanks for reading and opinions/advice please :)

Associate
How long did you actually run MemTest for? I've had faulty memory which only showed up an issue after 24 hours

Soldato
Whichever board you use Windows 11 will deactivate. If you try and activate it will fail, but there’s an option to reactivate for hardware change look for it. So as long as your install is linked to your Microsoft account you should be fine. It will automatically sort out the hardware side of things when you boot with the new board for the first time.

Soldato
OP
Then you could just drop in your x470 motherboard as you won't not notice any difference in performance if gaming going back to pcie3 unless you don't mind paying for a new board.

Either way there be some tinkering to do.
Yeah tbh i did not notice ANY difference when i went from the x470 to the x570 when gaming
Was wanting to move the cpu,mem and nvme straight into a new mobo and get it to work
Bit hopeful then i assume?
How much performance would i be losing sticking with 1x16GB stick?
Seems to be playing games ok,not playing AAA games

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well i just had a game of D2 and it crashed to bios with only 1 stick when in middle of game :(
So i ran valley benchmark and it passed,then valley with 2 sticks....passed
slackened off the cooler mounting earlier as well.Not looking good

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
UPDATE
I `think`i have now sorted this.When i first set up the mobo/cpu/ram i played with the settings as you do and it was working fine for weeks.gaming browsing etc
Installed W11 to my old kit in readyness to put in my main case/pc and decided to have 1 last play with the x570
Noticed that the kombostrike was still set to-30
knocked this down to -20 and have not had a crash all weekend :D
When i was wiggling the mem and it crashed i just `assumed`it was a broken socket :o

Back
Top Bottom