• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

% improvement from LGA775 X9650 to i5-6600?

Associate
I have an ageing LGA775 motherboard with an X9650 @ 3.5 GHz, with DDR2 memory running at 1000 MHz. It's showing it's age and I'm of a mind to upgrade to a skylake processor.

I use my PC for gaming mostly; I do use it quite heavily for software development and compiling, but I'm pretty admant on going for a consumer line of i5/i7 chips with LGA1151 chipset, rather than one of the Xeon solutions. So I would think maybe an i5-6600 or i7-6700K seems to be the consensus.

My question is, given those options, what sort of gaming performance improvement can I expect, percent-wise, for games released in the past year, say? If somebody can point me to benchmarks, or provide some numbers to back-up their reasoning, that would be great; LGA775 doesn't get benchmarked much nowadays!

Also worth mentioning I have GTX1060, so that is up-to-date.

Associate
OP
So in the end I got a Z270 board with a 6600K.

In the entry level boards, the z170 boards cost the same as the z270 pretty much. Leaves me a little upgrade space in a couple of years; hopefully the 1151 socket will last for a year or two still.

The 6600K I got second-hand for 190, which was a nice little saving. I read somewhere (I think ars technica) that the skylake/kabylake 6600K/7600K performance difference on the i5's is pretty much non-existent when you clock the memory to 2400 Mhz, which I have done.

The difference was rather surprising; in some games it's really clear, up to 2x frame-rate, but in others not so much (e.g. deus ex: MD), which is quite weird! Anyway, it was high time for the upgrade ...

Back
Top Bottom