Insurance Wuote, Wrong Number plate

Associate
Good morning guys,

Hope you lot can help me with something.

About a month ago I got a new insurance quote for my car which was about £1k for the year as my previous company wanted £1800.
This policy was due to start on 27 March 2024 (Tomorrow. I rang the company yesterday to make payment and as she was going through the quote she mentioned the number plate which was the old original plate on the car when I bought it (Irish Plates) is in the quote.

I must have not updated the comparison site when looking for new quotes a month ago.

I told her to update the number plate to my private plate that is on the car and she said she would need to re run a fresh new quote because of this, and it came back as £2300.

I said leave it and hung up.

Now my question is, what if I call back, let them insure the car under the Irish plates, don’t drive the car for 24/48 hours then call back and ask them to amend the number plate and pay a small admin fee. That technically should be ok but if the insurance company say no you can’t do that then go online and put my private plate which is on the car atm on retention and the Irish plate will be re assigned back on to the car and then proceed with the policy with the Irish plates on before the policy starts tomorrow.

I hope that all made sense
Thank you

Don
I can't see why you need to re-submit the policy because the plate changed, ring back and speak to someone else and hope for a different outcome! My personal experience is that I insured a car and totally forgot to update it to a private plate, the only problem I had was getting pulled by the police for driving with no insurance, so only a small niggle :p

The police were absolutely fine once I showed them the paperwork and my insurance company charged me a £15 admin fee, much more palatable than six points a large fine!

Associate
OP
I can't see why you need to re-submit the policy because the plate changed, ring back and speak to someone else and hope for a different outcome! My personal experience is that I insured a car and totally forgot to update it to a private plate, the only problem I had was getting pulled by the police for driving with no insurance, so only a small niggle :p

The police were absolutely fine once I showed them the paperwork and my insurance company charged me a £15 admin fee, much more palatable than six points a large fine!
I agree but the problem is that the policy hasn’t even started yet and she said il have to re run the quote and tomorrow is the start date and it came back a higher quote.

Associate
surely if you have already notified them of the plate change, you dont have any choice but to go with the new quote if you use them.
the vehicle is the same, i think if you try to get around it by insuring it under the old plate which now is held by dvla you would be committing insurance fraud?

Man of Honour
If they re-ran the quotation it would naturally be higher as your start date is too close (ie you are more risky to insure)

Just get the quote under the irish plates and then do a swap once the insurance starts and pay that admin fee

Back
Top Bottom