• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

Soldato
Robert Hallock demos meteor lake performance, claims meteor lake mobile i7's beat ryzen 7000 mobile chips in performance, efficiency and also have a faster GPU than the rdna3 GPUs being used

It's worth noting, that while these benchmarks do look quite nice. AMD is going to launch Ryzen 8000 mobile chips soon

Last edited:
Soldato
Those 8000 mobile chips look pretty disappointing* though, barely worthy of being bumped a generation. Only boost is to AI workloads.

*The 7000 chips are amazing, I'm just viewing the fact that the 8000's are basically the same CPUs with the NPU engine.

Soldato
Intel hit a home run with Meteor lake

Battery life problems no more, competitive cpu with performance with AMD's best and class leading GPU performance

Last edited:
Soldato

Battery life problems no more, competitive cpu with performance with AMD's best and class leading GPU performance

I'm not sure I would go as far to call it a home run, some of those Youtubers are simply blowing smoke up Intel's ar3e when they make claims like that (also what's with giving samples to all these smaller channels? Does Intel wants to avoid channels who have the time and resources to do a deep dive and comprehensive review?).

Meteor lake was meant to be a Intel's most revolutionary CPU design in years it's not as good as AMD's Zen moment or Apple's M series, back in August Pat Gelsinger said this was going to deliver a 'Centrino' level of performance improvements yet what gets delivered has AI performance that only matches AMD last gen AI product (Phoenix). The CPU part has improved multithreading performance and a lot better power efficiciency at the cost of single threaded performance which has actually gone slightly backwards. Saying that though in multithreading despite having a billion cores at various performance levels it can't keep up with AMD's 8 core chips

The GPU though is a genuine achievement, I never expected Intel to get close to the 780m let alone beat it (there's still a question on how much power it's drawing), I can't wait to see Battlemage and what that can deliver.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hold the press. I've just noticed after reading over the test system overview on Notebook check (linked above) Intel shipped units out with like the fastest possible ram they could find.

Both laptops were equipped with 32 GB LPDDR5x-7467 RAM and the GPU driver was version 31.0.101.5122. The in-depth review of the new Acer Swift Go 14 will be published soon.

So that does help explain why the GPU performance was so much better. I wonder what % of final production units will get shipped with such powerful memory?

Soldato
OP

Really impressive battery life. Huge performance per watt improvements.

Arrowlake has great potential for desktop - but depends if it scan scale well at high power/frequencies. I think it may need another generation to match/beat Raptor Lake.

Associate
Soldato
Hmm, snake oil methinks

Calling it a "power hog" is clickbait when every review I've looked at shows battery life the same or better than amd equivalent

Caporegime
Intel talk a big talk, publish very dodgy marketing that doesn't hold up to scrutiny, and then talk down their competition, aggressively and often cringingly while at the same time never delivering on their promises.

Pat Gelsinger is increasingly looking like a bit of a ____ "AMD are in the rear view mirror" when actually its his products that are 1 or more generations behind, "Benchmarks aren't real benchmarks" when Intel can't win in them, comparing their chips to AMD's as "better" by using some dodgy and obscure ways to measure that "AMD rebranding older Cores" when Intel do that constantly.
"Meteor Lake is Intel's new wow moment, like the core 2 moments where people will realise Intel are back" it looses or struggles to keep up with AMD's last gen and this while having overclocked RAM, there are signs it may even have a slight IPC regression.

I think people are growing tired of Intel's ____

Last edited:
Caporegime
When as the CEO you're out there telling tech jurnoes and investors that they will think Meteor Lake is Intel's new wow moment instead of letting people discover that for them selves if it is.... then something is very wrong, because harking back at days long gone as a way to try and tell people what to think is desperate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fairly comprehensive test

In fact, out of 370 benchmarks run on both the Ryzen 7 7840U and Core Ultra 7 155H focused strictly on the processor performance, the Ryzen 7 7840U was the best performer 80% of the time!
That review is using a $1000 budget laptop for Intel (Acer 14" Swift Go 14 laptop). For AMD, they use a $1500 Framework 13 model, so likely a biased review where the Intel throttles with terrible cooling design and likely slow RAM, possibly single channel.

Meteor Lake seems a good CPU for Intel in that it improves their performance per watt substantially, which is vitally important for mobile. Performance is disappointing though, with Ryzen parts still equal or better in most benchmarks.

Be interesting to see how Intel's 2nd gen on chiplets (Arrow Lake) improves on this - I'd still be surprised if it can match Raptor Lake/Zen4X3D in gaming.

Soldato
That review is using a $1000 budget laptop for Intel (Acer 14" Swift Go 14 laptop). For AMD, they use a $1500 Framework 13 model, so likely a biased review where the Intel throttles with terrible cooling design and likely slow RAM, possibly single channel.

Meteor Lake seems a good CPU for Intel in that it improves their performance per watt substantially, which is vitally important for mobile. Performance is disappointing though, with Ryzen parts still equal or better in most benchmarks.

Be interesting to see how Intel's 2nd gen on chiplets (Arrow Lake) improves on this - I'd still be surprised if it can match Raptor Lake/Zen4X3D in gaming.
Regarding the ram Framework supplies the Ryzen based systems with 5400 MHz modules. From the limited number of new Intel systems that I can find online the default memory is 6400 (whatever the default speed is it's unlikely to go as high as the the ones Intel souped up with 7467 MHz).

Soldato
Fairly comprehensive test

In fact, out of 370 benchmarks run on both the Ryzen 7 7840U and Core Ultra 7 155H focused strictly on the processor performance, the Ryzen 7 7840U was the best performer 80% of the time!

May need a retest now

Intel just released a new bios for meteor lake laptops and with the new bios, CPU performance increased by 13% without changing power draw. Its not clear what the bios changed, but tests show power consumption is unaffected but the cpu is performing around 13% faster in benchmarks

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the ram Framework supplies the Ryzen based systems with 5400 MHz modules. From the limited number of new Intel systems that I can find online the default memory is 6400 (whatever the default speed is it's unlikely to go as high as the the ones Intel souped up with 7467 MHz).

The 6400 thing is a typo. These laptops are shipped to customers with 7467 memory, verified by owners who have started receiving their orders from stores

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom