Interference from neighbours network

Soldato
Channel 13 is generally best avoided because most IoT devices will not find any channel over 12 because not all countries allow you to use Channel 13 so they don’t look for it. Stick to 1/6/11 and you’ll be fine.

Associate
OP
Update. Since my post, Zzoomm have changed the channels, rebooted the router but still having the same issues. They have suggested moving the router but this isn't practical. I have ethernet cables routed to an outdoor office and my son's room so cannot really move them. The hard wired connection is fine but wireless is extremely poor and I stable.

I have read up on a mesh routers could this fix the issues?

Soldato
Update. Since my post, Zzoomm have changed the channels, rebooted the router but still having the same issues. They have suggested moving the router but this isn't practical. I have ethernet cables routed to an outdoor office and my son's room so cannot really move them. The hard wired connection is fine but wireless is extremely poor and I stable.

I have read up on a mesh routers could this fix the issues?
Generally no as they depend on WiFi to connect each other.

However there are some mesh kits that do support ethernet backhaul, and seeing as you already have cables running around the home, I would be tempted to get a kit that supports that and try that out. Alternatively, access points will also work the same, and depending on the model will have seamless roaming, so same effect as mesh.

Since it's an interference issue, I do not recommend the TP-Link Deco line as they do not allow you to change the WiFi channels, I was getting interference as well and had to give up on them as the auto optimisation struggled to find a good channel on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Make sure to disable the router WiFi with whatever route you go with so it doesn't interfere with the new WiFi setup.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, just thinking about my options here. My router is literally on the opposite side of the wall from my neighbour, who I am being told us causing the interference. My options are, going back and forth with my isp, trying another isp or maybe physically blocking the interference.

What if I covered the wall in some sort of foil, and decorated it. For example some interior wood cladding. Would that pretty much block the neighbours signal?

The wall in question is at the foot of the stairs and probably 3m wide.

Man of Honour
a bit of a silly idea, but seeing as you already have ethernet ports throughout your home...
...before doing anything drastic, have you tried temporarily moving your router somewhere else and seeing if the issues still occur?
i know you said it's inconvenient, but it's at least worth a temporary try first, and you could always use an extension lead if there's no power sockets nearby

Associate
OP
If you're on a sufficiently spaced channel to them, then it isn't their router causing the issue.
Are these issues around particular times of day, or random?
Here is the current channel layout.

2.4ghz
I'm on channel 1 and they're on channel 6.

5ghz
I'm on channel 104dfs and they're on 116dfs

Every time I report the issues with Zzoomm they say after checking they can see conflict issues and there are errors in the log file.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My isp emailed me not too long ago stating there is only 8 errors on the 5ghz frequency.

My reply

Hi James,

At the moment there is no current issue.
When I first messaged, Netflix was suffering from quite a lot of issues. Firstly, when pressing play on a film or TV series it would slowly count up to 100% as though I am on really slow internet. When it started to play, it played audio only whilst the video was completely frozen. It then played a little then froze again. Then it reported an error and stopped playing. This went on for over an hour.

When this happens again I will try using Netflix on my Nvidia Shield to rule out any issues. Although the NS was previously more notorious to the these issues.

You say my error count is low. I reset my router yesterday as requested by your colleague. Is an error count of 8 still low for one day?

I would expect the error count to be zero.

Just to mention, I have never suffered from these issues prior to Zzoomm. You said it maybe due to the faster connection. Is this correct?

I see currently I am on channel 1 on 2.4ghz where my neighbour is on channel 6. On the 5ghz frequency, I'm am on channel 104dfs where my neighbour is on 116dfs. Are you 100% confident the issue is caused by my neighbours interference?

The router has been replaced ruling this out, but what about the small white box?

Currently, I have two cat6 network cables running to an outdoor office. (primary and redundancy) then one more hard wired into my son's room.

If the router was to be placed elsewhere, this would cause a lot of issues due to have to remove the sockets, plastering and decorating.

Soldato
This isn't an interreference issue as you are on non overlapping channels as you've confirmed multiple times at this point, as such can we please stop blaming the neighbour because that's just silly. The small white box is presumably the ONT, it's not got anything to do with wifi, it's literally the point that fibre is converted into copper for you to use with conventional networking kit. It's more likely to be something else such as a fridge/freezer compressor kicking in and the suppressor failed, poor router, user error siting a streaming device behind a big RF shielded screen next to a wall etc. Start with the basic and inexpensive options, run a network cable from the ONT and move the router a few meters away from the wall and see if things improve - generally putting it up against a solid object is not a good idea. Zzoomm don't mention if they use VLAN's, but they do say you are welcome to use your own router, they just won't support it, if you have a spare router that is suitable, this may be a good time to try an alternative.

Associate
OP
It is the isp saying it is the neighbours device, that is causing the issues. I am just advising what they have said. My TV connects via a smart plug. I'll remove this for a period firstly.

Soldato
Stop and think. Wifi is designed to coexist with other wifi networks, you've checked and proven you are on totally separate and non overlapping channels, so what possible impact can the neighbour be having through a presumably solid wall? The explanation offered not only doesn't make sense, the facts simply don't support it.

Also forgive me for asking what may be a dumb question, but can you clarify if 'connects via smart plug' actually means what it should - eg you have a smart plug that turns the TV on/off for some reason, or if you've got some sort of powerline device handling the connection that you haven't mentioned? I would normally take it as the former, but as you've suddenly mentioned it out of the blue, I figured it was worth checking.

Soldato
Having a complete reread over everything, is it just Netflix with the stalling issues? Although you mentioned other wireless devices suffer from it, is it mainly the Shield TV? For sake of testing can you wire up the Shield TV to the router if possible just to see how that goes?

Associate
OP
Having a complete reread over everything, is it just Netflix with the stalling issues? Although you mentioned other wireless devices suffer from it, is it mainly the Shield TV? For sake of testing can you wire up the Shield TV to the router if possible just to see how that goes?
Streaming over Kodi with my Nvidia Shield gave the same issues. Multiple disconnections

Soldato
Would changing to another DNS provider help in this instance? I'm guessing you're just using your ISP DNS at the moment. Sorry if silly suggestion, just trying to think of some other things to try saying as it doesn't sound like channel overlap issue any longer from reading.

Man of Honour
If the TV is physically in between these devices and the router, it is likely that it's always been attenuating the the signal from your router. If the change in router when you moved ISP was to a worse/less powerful device then there's a chance this could tip them over the edge by degrading the signal to a level that is no longer workable. You could test this by moving your devices so that the TV is not between them and the router. Might not be particularly practical mind.

Associate
Where is the router in relation to where you are connecting to it I've WiFi? Same room, different room/floor ... and how many walls/floors in between (and also thinking of the direct line between the router and the WiFi device is it going through any walls at a very shallow angle).

Back
Top Bottom