Is an ssd pointless for Windows xp?

Soldato
Yes yes I said it, for Windows xp ha and yes yes I know ssd makes everything quicker, but despite still wanting the 30gb OCZ Sata 2 ssd I got my eye on for a tenner, I don't need it for my haswell build anymore as I'm in the process of sorting my 500gb storage drive for the win 10 upgrade option.

Rather im thinking of that OCZ or another ssd for my recently acquired optiplex gx620 MT(cost a fiver) which has xp installed on a 80gb drive, but I have a 500gb waiting to go in, but don't want to waste it on the obsolete OS and I want to stick to xp for my old games that won't run into compatibility issues, but obviously still want Windows 7, so as an ssd are is so thin I could squeeze that in somewhere between the DVD drive and hdd or I suppose replace the floppy.

But would I be wasting the time and money on an ssd for an obsolete OS that hardly takes much to run?

System only has 1gb out of 4gb ddr2 currently and shortly I'm going to put my r7 240 2gb in it so that will free up video memory, just whether an ssd make any improvements.

Soldato
OP
ha thanks for replies.

im not expecting lightening speeds even if i up it to 3 or 4gb ram simply because its old and has a P4HT rather than a Pentium D in my last one, i thought at a fiver i could improve it and sell it or given it lays flat i can use it for my old games and it wont be in the way or sell it for a core2duo version, but then i lose full height card option.

500gb will make things quicker, but as i say not going to waste it by installing xp on it lol, i just wondered whether an ssd would make enough impact to warrant the costs.

as the the 240, it shouldnt really be that hard to run surely? i know its no hd2400 i had in my last one, but should still be more efficient being more modern, hell ive ran a gt 210 1gb on a 250w of old basic supply that had a dual core amd in it and had no issues, cant see this amd drawing much power than that :confused:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies.

I am using a 500gb Sata 2 hdd I salvaged from a computer, the ssd despite being 30gb had sold by the time I is the spare tenner lol.

As for xp, I stated my reasons for it which is old games, I have had many compatibility issues with some older games on my main computer which is 8.1 and Windows 7 isn't all that great in that mode either and as for Windows 10, I have that on my main also via separate drive so I didn't lose out on the free upgrade whether I like it or not and that computer will run forza horizon 3 at a decent level when I get hold of it.

I am installing Windows 7 pro 32bit on it currently and going to partition the drive so I can upgrade to win 10 and have a small amount for xp.

Back
Top Bottom