Is everyone's PC (near) silent at idle?

Man of Honour
Mine is quieter than a laptop when just running normally browsing the web etc. When gaming the 4090 fans spool up but they run at around 1100rpm average so still quiet.

All case fans are idling around 350-650rpm and are all Arctic PWN PST 120/140mm. The HX1000i fan never turns on essentially. BIOS fan curves are set so all case fans spool up if the CPU gets close to 60 degrees, which is usually never even in gaming.

Put it this way, my Gsync Ultimate OLED monitor has fans inside it and they are louder than my PC when not gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have only stuck with watercooling is of the low noise under load. for genral tasks my some my pc fans stop spinning and those that are cant be heard. as above my gysnch uw oled has a nosier a fan that some times kicks in

Soldato
at idle i set the fan curve so they are just spinning. Then a harsh curve 50-60 on cpu for all fans to ramp up.

Only time slightly annoying is if a big steam update or the fans will ramp up (using an ancient corasair 240mm AIO originally used on 4570k system)

Associate
These days, yes, around black friday last year I bit the bullet and went Mo-Ra3, got it all set up around Xmas

I went from 2 internal rads (240 and 360) with 10 120mm fans, to the Mo-Ra and 4 200mm fans

Idle is quite, and so is full load, before I had all fans hitting 100% at 40 degrees, and even then depending on the day it would still max out at 45 degrees

I've the fans at a pretty static 30% atm and it's been a big change, admittedly it is abit colder these days and the summer is going to be the real test, but don't think I'll have many complaints

Associate
I use a Formd T1 and have 5800x3d under air.Once I learned how to control fan curves (currently use Fan Control), I was able to get it near-silent at idle.

It would obviously get loud under sustained loads to maximise CPU performance, but my primary use case is gaming.

I have been experimenting with flat curves recently and letting the CPU manage itself. However this has coincided with some weird behaviours in games. I got anti-cheat kicked in The Finals, Hunt:Showdown and a menu crash in Helldivers 2. Not really sure if this at all related, so I've reverted to the more aggressive curves to allow fans to spin up to 100% to keep CPU temp as low as poss.

Associate
I use a Formd T1 and have 5800x3d under air.Once I learned how to control fan curves (currently use Fan Control), I was able to get it near-silent at idle.

It would obviously get loud under sustained loads to maximise CPU performance, but my primary use case is gaming.

I have been experimenting with flat curves recently and letting the CPU manage itself. However this has coincided with some weird behaviours in games. I got anti-cheat kicked in The Finals, Hunt:Showdown and a menu crash in Helldivers 2. Not really sure if this at all related, so I've reverted to the more aggressive curves to allow fans to spin up to 100% to keep CPU temp as low as poss.
Coincidence, you're not going to get anti-cheat kicked from a game because of a high CPU temp, and it won't cause a crash because it will automatically thermal throttle. If you want to keep temperatures lower without spinning up the fans then you could just set a lower thermal throttle limit in the BIOS.

Associate
Coincidence, you're not going to get anti-cheat kicked from a game because of a high CPU temp, and it won't cause a crash because it will automatically thermal throttle. If you want to keep temperatures lower without spinning up the fans then you could just set a lower thermal throttle limit in the BIOS.
Thanks - that's as I thought. I didn't know about it being possible to control throttle limit. Very useful to know.

Soldato
Most GPU fans are stopped at idle, and most CPUs are fast enough so that general PC use (internet, office, youtube) can be performed at low power usage and therfore low RPM air cooling.

However, I've spoken to people who's fan curves are at default (e.g. 1200+ rpm) when the PC is idle and therefore relatively loud, which is crazy.

Is your PC (near) silent at idle?

There are some GPU's that will not allow the fan to be set below 30%. So the moment you take control of the fan, the minimum you can have is 30%. I am not sure why that is, because the in-built control has an off feature but when you take control that disappears.

My current GPU allows the curve to be set at zero so I don't have that problem.

Associate
Yeah, my GPU does this.

I have some GPU woes though (tenuously related). 4090 FE is exhibiting some kind of clicking from the fan that faces inwards in the sandwich-style case. I thought I would take it apart and find a stray cable interacting, but nothing. Re-assembled and it still continued. So I now think it's more likely due to fan wobble and touching the back of the PSU, or touching the GPU heatsink itself. I think the PSU interaction is more likely because the noise goes away when I place the case GPU side down. I think this is due to the GPU flexing away and creating enough space to stop the tapping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom