Is Xonar Essence STX a big upgrade on Sound Blaster Z

Associate
I've only been using Sound Blaster Z OEM for the last couple of days. It is a massive improvement over Xonar DGX which was a tad better than my onboard sound. My speakers are not great but I bought a pair of nice headphones yesterday (AKG K550).

Would Xonar Essence STX be a big improvement over Sound Blaster Z OEM?

I only use stereo so don't really need surround. I predominantly listen to music (well started after years in exile, you know kids...) I do gaming as well but don't use surround even if playing CS Go and would game mostly on speakers.

The reason I didn't get Xonar Essence STX in the first place was that I wasn't sure if I'm going to hear any difference to onboard. And in that scenario why spend money. Well now I know and can quite clearly hear the difference I'm wondering if Xonar Essence would be a logical next step.

Your expert input would be great.

Associate
OP
That's as good of an answer as I would hope for. Thank you rids57

I'm very happy with sound quality as it is. I think I will leave it at least for the time being. I'm sure once I get accustomed to better sound quality I will be able to spot the subtle differences you're referring to after a while.

Associate
OP
Thanks again, will probably keep SBZ for now and look at DAC / headphone amp combo.

I'm sure in time SBZ will also get upgraded. For now small steps as summer holidays are on the way.

Back
Top Bottom