I've been out of the loop (ha) for a while...

Soldato
So as per my sig I did a nice WC setup in 2016. That has served me well and still does, despite the age of my 6700k and 980ti now.

When looking at the inevitable replacements and not wanting to ditch it all, all the EK water blocks seemed way more expensive than I remembered, and oddly covered in flippin' lights.

What's the deal? Has someone else come in with some good competition?

Oh and the names. Quantum Velocity Magnitude. Maybe I've just gotten old.

Soldato
Ek is just a name now, the quality control has taken a nose drive.

Look at Corsair for radiators and pumps, phanteks for blocks and even coolermaster are starting to get into water cooling now and have some very interesting gear coming out, all cheaper than EK, theres also small budget company called Bykski who make some outstanding gear and also Barrow.

Last edited:
Associate
I have an ek monoblock for my cpu, my gpu had an EK block too but I purchased a gpu on the Members Market that came equipped with a heatkiller waterblock (made by watercool), I have no issue with its preformance and would happily buy a block in the future (actually decided to finally go Mo-Ra end of last year so I also have a heatkiller reservoir, which, even though is just a reservoir, I was impressed with, it just feels more "premium than my previous 2, an EK one and before that FrozenQ Helix reservoir

The previous comment mentions barrow, I have been using barrow fittings from the start and have had no issue with them, not use any other barrow products just yet but I would have no issue going them a go either

Soldato
OP
Ahh thanks for those guys. I've been happy enough with the EK stuff, its literally all been fitted and basically forgotten about since I did it. Just looking at the price for a new waterblock for an AM4 or 5 or a new GPU and it was making my eyes water haha.

Fortunately my 2x 360 rads, fans, pump controller etc are all ticking along nicely so it would just be 2 new water blocks and a few pipes to bend.

Soldato
there's also bitspower
But yeah custom watercooling is all about aesthetics now
If you had to start from having zero parts
Already available to re-use
It's crazy expensive
Even just fittings some of the prices are crazy
Considering how quickly it adds up
Best option don't have a glass/acrylic side panel
So doesn't matter what it looks like
And use MM to pick up stuff second hand way cheaper

Soldato
Next time I upgrade my GPU I will for the first time in years build the loop with just the cpu and and leave the gpu on air, and see how much noise it makes. Better overclocking potential by water cooling has been nerfed for years now.

Soldato
OP
Yeah if I didn't already have the rest of the loop I'd not bother these days. The most taxing thing I play is timberborn ha.

I shall keep my eyes peeled for a quantum titanium bluetooth zanadu excocet diamond waterblock that will fit something a little newer.

Back
Top Bottom