just sent my first ever complaints letter...

Man of Honour
Ok this has really annoyed me, I have been with norwhich union for 3 years for car insurance, last year when I took out a new policy on a four month pay period (instead of monthly) after the 4months was up I got a letter asking me to reinstate my direct debit (as it said I cancled it) and they'll cancle my policy if I dont pay up. Well I phoned them up and I didn't owe them any money and to ignore any letters. Just got a letter though now demanding payment for this years policy. I haven't renewed or taken out a policy with them this year and have taken my business else where. To me it looks like a cheap way of making money, see how many people send the money in anyway... Grr this has got me fuming so I have just mailed a complaints letter to them. Lets see if they reply...

* one fuming AcidHell2

Man of Honour
OP
Yep this is whats happend :(..
however the renewal was £100 more than last year, they haven't even sent me a certificate of insurance. Now they want to charge me £57 for one months cover... there complaints office is going to phone me back withion 48 hours......

Anooyed at self for not reading contract and more annoyed with them not sending me a certificate of insurance. At least that would have prompted me..

Soldato
So you did receive something through the post 2-4 weeks before your policy was due for renewal basically saying:

"Here is a quote for your next year of motor insurance.
Your policy will be automatically renewed unless you cancel the policy"

Or something similar?

Man of Honour
OP
had a renwal quote for some extorsanate price, but didn't read all of it (mistake).. but they haven't even sent me a certificate of insurance so how can they charge me when I'm not even covered..

jan the 12 was renewal date, this is the first letter I've had..

Man of Honour
OP
Cybermyk said:
I insured you as well, you owe me sixty pounds too, I erm... didn't send you a certificate either :p

I don't think you can create a contract based on the inactivity of the other party. It has to be offer and acceptance.

Thats what I thought.. especially when the price changes.. :confused:

Associate
Under the Freedom of Information Act request to see all the details they have about you. Thats should indicate where the problem is. Usually when you request this, someone has to spend some time digging up all your records, and any problems come to light.

Make a note you want to see any contracts you agreed to.

Soldato
Cybermyk said:
I insured you as well, you owe me sixty pounds too, I erm... didn't send you a certificate either :p

I don't think you can create a contract based on the inactivity of the other party. It has to be offer and acceptance.

You can because it is not a new insurance policy, rather the renewal of one that is about to expire.
You cannot send me a letter saying that from next week you are going to insure my life so I owe you £xx in premiums.
However if you already were insuring my life and the policy was up for renewal then you could send me a letter telling me that my policy would be renewed automatically on such and such a day and that the premiums would be as follows.
It is then my responsability to either cancel the new policy or it will be automatically renewed.

As the OP had a letter through the post before his policy was renewed and he decided not to read it or respond to it then I really don't think there is much room for complaint with the exception of positive renewals - however as this is an industry standard way of operation I can't see that argument getting you anywhere.

Man of Honour
OP
^^
Although I agree, taht was my fault. They are trying to make me pay for something I am not covered for as now certificate of insurance or other documents where sent to me.

Cybermyk said:
Did they send you a cover note? or anything that says you are insured for the period in question?

nope, this is the first letter I've had since the renewal date..

Back
Top Bottom