Knock Knock......

Associate
Hello there :)
The name is Al and I reside in the north of Scotland at a place called Lossiemouth. Built my first PC12 years ago after having a few off the shelf but got frustrated with their limitations. Had a lot of help back then but in the meantime my PC has slowed to a snails pace so I moved to the dark side for my photo processing and subsequently video editing but there's a few things the Mac can't do (and no, I don't want to run a windows emulator) - flight sims, scanner software and flight trackers to name a few. Now I really want to get back into my flight sims (still got to choose between MS or DCS) so it's time to build a new PC. It doesn't have to be mega powerful but I would want to upgrade sometime in the future to keep abreast of things. So I'm going to lean on you lot a bit for the best info on specs for this new machine - budget is around £1,500 but we'll talk about that later.
I'm old, knackered, my height to width ratio is abysmal and can't remember what I had for lunch, indeed if I had lunch although I do recall quite vividly falling off my tricycle and ripping my right inside leg open aged 4 and 3/4 so look upon me as a challenge! My braincell is already scrambled from around 4 weeks worth of research but I've got it down to case, MB, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and PSU with a few of those whirly things that light up to make it look awesome. Keyboard, mouse and monitor still to be considered.
I'm hoping some of you will take pity enough to help me out on my quest as I think trying to wipe my old PC and run all my old stuff puts me on a hiding to nothing although I may run my aviation/scanner stuff from it as a backup?

Cheers

Al

Commissario
flight sims
X-Plane 12 has just been released and works really well on the Mac.

scanner software
My flatbed still works (at least, it did when I last used it about a year ago) :p

flight trackers
That's what Raspberry Pis are for ;)

I'm old, knackered, my height to width ratio is abysmal and can't remember what I had for lunch
Welcome to the club!

I'm hoping some of you will take pity enough to help me out on my quest
For specific advice, take a look and start a thread in the appropriate sub-forum in the hardware section. Explain what you want, give your budget and I'm sure someone will be able to offer sage advice.

Associate
Hello there :)
The name is Al and I reside in the north of Scotland at a place called Lossiemouth. Built my first PC12 years ago after having a few off the shelf but got frustrated with their limitations. Had a lot of help back then but in the meantime my PC has slowed to a snails pace so I moved to the dark side for my photo processing and subsequently video editing but there's a few things the Mac can't do (and no, I don't want to run a windows emulator) - flight sims, scanner software and flight trackers to name a few. Now I really want to get back into my flight sims (still got to choose between MS or DCS) so it's time to build a new PC. It doesn't have to be mega powerful but I would want to upgrade sometime in the future to keep abreast of things. So I'm going to lean on you lot a bit for the best info on specs for this new machine - budget is around £1,500 but we'll talk about that later.
I'm old, knackered, my height to width ratio is abysmal and can't remember what I had for lunch, indeed if I had lunch although I do recall quite vividly falling off my tricycle and ripping my right inside leg open aged 4 and 3/4 so look upon me as a challenge! My braincell is already scrambled from around 4 weeks worth of research but I've got it down to case, MB, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and PSU with a few of those whirly things that light up to make it look awesome. Keyboard, mouse and monitor still to be considered.
I'm hoping some of you will take pity enough to help me out on my quest as I think trying to wipe my old PC and run all my old stuff puts me on a hiding to nothing although I may run my aviation/scanner stuff from it as a backup?

Cheers

Al
Great first post.

Advice above is good. Appropriate sub forum is probably this one: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/community/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/ (not for the 'new' bit, for the upgrade advice - obviously)

Good timing for wanting to get back into flight sims - feels like we're in a bit of a golden age for flight simulators right now.

Be sure to state your budget when you ask for help - as Microsoft Flight Simulator (perhaps unfairly) has a reputation for requiring some fairly beefy hardware. Make sure also to state if you also need a monitor (monitor tech has moved on quite quickly [for monitor tech] in the last few years or so; and isn't slowing down that I can see) and beware the developments in expensive keyboards (I ended up going back from mechanical to a normal 'office' type keyboard; they're not for everyone!).

Good luck in your journey!

Associate
Hi onemac, so your from lossiemouth? I did a deal on a car near there years ago. Iirc it's a really nice part of the world, the journey getting there and back from Cheshire was very picturesque. Funnily enough i'm travelling 300 miles to Perth on monday to possibly buy another car.

Associate
OP
Hi onemac, so your from lossiemouth? I did a deal on a car near there years ago. Iirc it's a really nice part of the world, the journey getting there and back from Cheshire was very picturesque. Funnily enough i'm travelling 300 miles to Perth on monday to possibly buy another car.
Hi tyke_
Live in Lossie but was born in Elgin 5 miles south. Moved away in my late teens and discovered the grass wasn't greener so here I am. Great part of the country and Perth is ok too ;)

Associate
Hi tyke_
Live in Lossie but was born in Elgin 5 miles south. Moved away in my late teens and discovered the grass wasn't greener so here I am. Great part of the country and Perth is ok too ;)
Ah ok Elgin, yes that rings a bell it was definitely around there that i went to, it was an RAF base if i recall correctly. I remember it being a really nice area. Yes i'm travelling to Perth on monday by train, quite looking forward to it, just hope the car is ok or it will be for nothing. The car i bought from by you was great.

Back
Top Bottom