lamps, magnification and more....

Associate
Hey guys,

Recently getting back in to warhammer and setting up a corner desk with where I will build and paint.
I need some further lighting in the area as its mega dark even with main lights on, but also would like a magnification glass on an arm for the more difficult/fiddly pieces!

Anyone got any suggestions or anything to keep well away from?

Soldato
Good cheap option is Ikea Tertial lamp with a daylight bulb in it.

For a more expensive but very good option I have a Neatfi task lamp and I love it, £110 though.

Neatfi XL 2,200 Lumens LED Task Lamp, 24W Super Bright Desk Lamp, 117 Pcs SMD LED, 51CM Wide Lamp, 4 Level Brightness, Dimmable, Eye-Caring LED Lamp (White with Clamp) https://amzn.eu/d/0KDxfTt

Agreed about a static magnifier, no good for minis really as it’s in the way of the brush.

I literally got my glasses style ones in the post today and they seem spot on, £16 from Amazon with the added bonus of looking like a super cool guy in them. I didn’t go for the USB ones as they’re twice as much as the AAA ones and I figured I wouldn’t use the two tiny LEDs as I paint under a good light. Definitely the case.

Soldato
Neatfi are awsome. I have have the bifocal lamp.

Couldn't get on with glasses.

I used to work under optical microscopes doing glues on tiny lenses and we used to use a 10x loupe quite a lot as well so I kind of got used to looking through stuff like that but definitely see why some people wouldn't get on with it.

I tried a magnifier ring thing, just a cheap one, and I just found that the positioning that was comfortable for me to do it, my hands were far too close to the glass and I'd constantly catch the end of my paintbrush handle on it, drove me mad!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the above everyone.
Ordered a lamp and some magnification specs based on recommendations, after thinking about it, a mounted one certainly could provide some issues with paintbrushes etc.

Associate
I got one of the magnifiers with a set of helping hands built in and just found it too akward to use.
I expect it depends on your setup, but if you move around a lot it is never where you want and you cannot use it for long peroids as you need to maintain the same position.

I bought a set of the cheapo glasses from ebay with a collection of swapable lenses and an LED lamp built in and its much easier and also more effective. Can use at my desk, on my couch and I also use it for oddjobs as well instead of a head torch.

Back
Top Bottom