Leaving dog when going on holiday

Permabanned
I am going to America with all my family at the start of May. We have a Jack Russell who is about 14 months old who will be staying in the UK when we're away.

Me and my mum are looking at where to put him for the 2 weeks we're gone. At the moment there are 3 ideas in the pipeline.

The first, and this would be the best, is to leave him with a work friend. She works days, her fella works nights, so someone is always home. The problem is, she already has 2 dogs... an older Jack Russell, and a big huge Great Dane. She has said she would love to look after Rodney if he got on with her 2 dogs. So I am going take him round to see how they get on. If they get on for an hour or so, I can then then leave him longer and longer and eventually over night to see if its ok. That would be smashing - work friend loves dogs and I know Rodders will be in good hands.

Second is - a dogsitter. This is more personal than the third option - he'll get looked after well and still get the attention he'll be after. Downside is I imagine its quite expensive? Not that that matters as I want Rodney to be comfortable while we're away and not distressed. I have a friend though who left his 2 dogs with a dog sitter and they both got away and got lost :/ They were Jack Russells aswell - lol. I am sure this is an isolated case.

The third is Kennels. I *really* do not like the idea of this. In a cage all day bored out his tree. I worry it will affect him mentally - like he will hate me and my mum for leaving him there. While I am sure they give good care to the dogs, it just seems very cruel to the dog. I have had no experience with Kenels so I could be complete wrong about them? Are the dogs just left to their own devices in the cage? Do they get walked? Are they played with? Are the Kennels indoor? Are they warm?

I am quite apprehensive about leaving Rodney - So any advice would be very welcomed. Thanks

Permabanned
OP
My work friend has said that she puts her dogs in Kennels when she goes away. She says they are nice. Might give them a ring to organise a walkaround.

Back
Top Bottom