LG ELECTRONICS LHW250SC Home Cinema Systems gOOD OR bAD?

Soldato
I dont think you will be able to use the wireless speakers on their own, usualy these kinds of setups will require a full system in place for them to work

I would guess the wireless ariel will go into the sub and thats what plugs into sound card and unless you have speakers that will attach to sub, you may find it difficult to set up

I believe Phillips where going to do a similar set, with wired fronts and wireless rears but havent heard wether its been released yet

Associate
OP
FrankJH said:
I dont think you will be able to use the wireless speakers on their own, usualy these kinds of setups will require a full system in place for them to work

I would guess the wireless ariel will go into the sub and thats what plugs into sound card and unless you have speakers that will attach to sub, you may find it difficult to set up

I believe Phillips where going to do a similar set, with wired fronts and wireless rears but havent heard wether its been released yet

Sorry i'll make it clearer. I want to know if this complete setup is any good. I want to use the wireless rear speakers as aprt of this system.

Soldato
Depends what you compare it too, in my opinion its going to be cheap and nasty and if thats your budget I'd look to a good stereo based system.

Wireless speakers are still going to need to be powered so they won't be strictly wireless anyway but from my experience of wireless (my Phillips CRT came with them) them are badly made, light (i.e. they have cheap drivers) and the sound is poor because they have to have their own cheap little amps built in.

For that budget you pick up a good quality secondhand AV amp (less than £100) which you can feed from your current DVD player and allow to do the processing so it will be able to handle anything you throw at it, you could then get a pair of good quality stereo speakers and then add a sub and surround at a later date until then the amp with convert any stream to stereo.

Back on the subject of rear speakers, you might be able to route them under a carpet? There are a couple of manufacturer who make speaker cable which is increadably thin so it will go under underlay a much better solution which will give long term flexibility. :)

MB

Associate
OP
Matblack said:
Depends what you compare it too, in my opinion its going to be cheap and nasty and if thats your budget I'd look to a good stereo based system.

Wireless speakers are still going to need to be powered so they won't be strictly wireless anyway but from my experience of wireless (my Phillips CRT came with them) them are badly made, light (i.e. they have cheap drivers) and the sound is poor because they have to have their own cheap little amps built in.

For that budget you pick up a good quality secondhand AV amp (less than £100) which you can feed from your current DVD player and allow to do the processing so it will be able to handle anything you throw at it, you could then get a pair of good quality stereo speakers and then add a sub and surround at a later date until then the amp with convert any stream to stereo.

Back on the subject of rear speakers, you might be able to route them under a carpet? There are a couple of manufacturer who make speaker cable which is increadably thin so it will go under underlay a much better solution which will give long term flexibility. :)

MB

I have wooden flooring :(

Could you recommend me a good stero setup then?

What about this cheapo and not using the rear speakers?:-

http://ws1.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-SCHT330

Soldato
I have a wooden floor in my living room, all I did was run some conduit above the skirting its not very noticeable, alternatively if you can get some very thin cable you might be able to sllip it under the skirting (depends on if you have a gap like we have.)

What I can say is that a good suround system well set up should offset any small compromise you have to make in cosmetics. :)

I see from the other thread that you already have a DVD player, I don't understand why you would want to buy another one just because it has a built in decoder? At that price the quality of all the components is going to be pretty poor anyway and your limiting your upgrade options.

Heres what I would do

Buy an AV amp, as I said a half decent one can be had second hand for that money, my Marantz SR 5400 cost me less than £200 and a SR4200 can be had for less than £100, there are loads of other makes too, you can feed this with your current DVD player as long as it has a digital output.

What I would then consider is if I wanted small (lifestyle) speakers or larger ones. Lifestyle speakers like the Canton CD1s I have in my living room are nice and subtle. The drawback is they need a Sub because they can't reproduce tones below the mid range, the problem with this is that although bass is not very directional you still need to place the sub woofer well.

Larger speakers are good and initially you could run them without a sub and then add one later, believe me you will want one esspecially if you hear a decent system somewhere else ;)

If you go lifestyle then I would get a set like the Canton CD1 or 101 which is the new version. The speakers have weight, the drivers are good quality and can reproduce sound well and the sub is good. The systems you have linked to with have light rubbishy drivers

Going with larger speakers would allow you to build your system gradually, you could start with stereo speakers and then find a matching centre. You'll want a centre pretty fast I would think, the centre is the channel which handles most of the speech and thats a big part of movies. You could then look at rears and a sub. So you would get a gradual upgrade path and be able to concentrate on the areas you would like to improve. Going in this direction also means that you would find you have to do a full system upgrade, you could for example upgrade you centre or buy a new AV amp and keep your speakers.

I've been in your situation and went from a TV through a stereo solution on to seperates and then through some serious upgrading. I now run two systems; a lifesyle system in the living room and an AV room with large speakers and a sub, so if you have any question then I'd be happy to try and help.

MB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Matblack said:
I have a wooden floor in my living room, all I did was run some conduit above the skirting its not very noticeable, alternatively if you can get some very thin cable you might be able to sllip it under the skirting (depends on if you have a gap like we have.)

What I can say is that a good suround system well set up should offset any small compromise you have to make in cosmetics. :)

I see from the other thread that you already have a DVD player, I don't understand why you would want to buy another one just because it has a built in decoder? At that price the quality of all the components is going to be pretty poor anyway and your limiting your upgrade options.

Heres what I would do

Buy an AV amp, as I said a half decent one can be had second hand for that money, my Marantz SR 5400 cost me less than £200 and a SR4200 can be had for less than £100, there are loads of other makes too, you can feed this with your current DVD player as long as it has a digital output.

What I would then consider is if I wanted small (lifestyle) speakers or larger ones. Lifestyle speakers like the Canton CD1s I have in my living room are nice and subtle. The drawback is they need a Sub because they can't reproduce tones below the mid range, the problem with this is that although bass is not very directional you still need to place the sub woofer well.

Larger speakers are good and initially you could run them without a sub and then add one later, believe me you will want one esspecially if you hear a decent system somewhere else ;)

If you go lifestyle then I would get a set like the Canton CD1 or 101 which is the new version. The speakers have weight, the drivers are good quality and can reproduce sound well and the sub is good. The systems you have linked to with have light rubbishy drivers

Going with larger speakers would allow you to build your system gradually, you could start with stereo speakers and then find a matching centre. You'll want a centre pretty fast I would think, the centre is the channel which handles most of the speech and thats a big part of movies. You could then look at rears and a sub. So you would get a gradual upgrade path and be able to concentrate on the areas you would like to improve. Going in this direction also means that you would find you have to do a full system upgrade, you could for example upgrade you centre or buy a new AV amp and keep your speakers.

I've been in your situation and went from a TV through a stereo solution on to seperates and then through some serious upgrading. I now run two systems; a lifesyle system in the living room and an AV room with large speakers and a sub, so if you have any question then I'd be happy to try and help.

MB

Thank you MB, you have taken the time and given me some sound advice, (plz excuse the big pun) :)

I think since i have spent far to long on this already, busy with work and rearing a v young family. Think i'll take the easy option and just buy the
http://www.electricalcomparison.co.uk/Lg-Electronics_LHW250SC_.html

Won't be playing it loud, coz of the kiddies.

Do you think this will be at least ok?

Sure it can't be any worse than my crap PC speakers....

MB- It would be helpful if you could advice me on how to wire up my setup with this new bit of kit.

TV with 3 scarts.

Video player- 1 blue and 1 black scart

Digi Box- with 2 scart and 1 digi audio out.

Cheers MB

Last edited:
Soldato
svan said:
Thank you MB, you have taken the time and given me some sound advice, (plz excuse the big pun) :)

I think since i have spent far to long on this already, busy with work and rearing a v young family. Think i'll take the easy option and just buy the
http://www.electricalcomparison.co.uk/Lg-Electronics_LHW250SC_.html

Won't be playing it loud, coz of the kiddies.

Do you think this will be at least ok?

Sure it can't be any worse than my crap PC speakers....

In all honesty, if your not going to use the rear surrounds I don't think you'll notice a great improvement from a med range TV.

If your ever in the Mid Kent area I'd be happy to demo both a AV amp lifestyle and big speaker system for you so you know what the difference is like :)

MB

Associate
OP
Matblack said:
In all honesty, if your not going to use the rear surrounds I don't think you'll notice a great improvement from a med range TV.

If your ever in the Mid Kent area I'd be happy to demo both a AV amp lifestyle and big speaker system for you so you know what the difference is like :)

MB

I'll bare that in mind m8 :). I know it would result in a rather expensive purchase tho :)

I do want to use the rear speaks and can do with the LG system i have posted, due to the rears being wireless..

Soldato
svan said:
I'll bare that in mind m8 :). I know it would result in a rather expensive purchase tho :)

I do want to use the rear speaks and can do with the LG system i have posted, due to the rears being wireless..

OK, if your going to get a kick out of sound coming from behind you and aren't too worried about quality then go for it. At that price if you get hooked you can always upgrade later I supose.

MB

Back
Top Bottom