Looking for faster reliable broadband.

Soldato
At the moment I have a pitiful BT 50mbps connection witch rarely hits 30 if I'm lucky. I was hoping for community fibre or giganet but it isn't available to me yet. So I used uswitch to find some deals, the best is looking like Virgin but I've had them in the past and didn't like them. I'm looking for 500mbps and above so any help welcome. Just want faster downloads of games and reliable service and decent wifi.

Soldato
Pretty sure virgin use their own fibre line? And not BT? So the only choice you is virgin, because every other service available to you will come down BT lines

Soldato
OP
Cheers those links are handy. It does say city fibre is planned but I've no idea when though. Done a line test on my BT 50mbps connection and indeed I'm only hitting 30mbps says latency 38ms 78% slower than tests in North East England. Think I might wait and see what happens though.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Cheers those links are handy. It does say city fibre is planned but I've no idea when though. Done a line test on my BT 50mbps connection and indeed I'm only hitting 30mbps says latency 38ms 78% slower than tests in North East England. Think I might wait and see what happens though.

What does this say?

Associate
Any company that uses openreach cables, BT, Sky EE, talk talk, plus net etc will give you roughly the same speed as you have now. If Virgin is available where you live, they use their own cables and will likely be the only other option.

Soldato
OP
What does this say?

According to that i have the fastest avaiable at the moment but 1gig is coming between now and december 26! So ive asked to be kept updated. Maybes Virgin media might be an alternative 500Mbps would do me for a while i guess. Im on BT Fibre 1 at the moment and it says it garuntees 30Mbps well its rare i ever see speeds like that, steam for instance occasionaly gets close but mostly its sub 30. Ive seen a few open reach vans about recently so heres hoping.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
OP
Virgin Media offering 1130mbps for £48 a month 18 month contract month 19 is £78 currently, but seeing as thier 516mbps is £42 month and £72 at month 19 I may as well go for the former. Thoughts everyone, worth it?

Saying that prices are going up 9% in April.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Signed up for Virgin Media Fibre Broadband 1Gig, 1130Mbps for £39 a month. As I've already had VM before I'm doing self install on Wednesday. This will hopefully be a massive upgrade over my current woefully slow BT connection.

Soldato
Hi, didn't want to start a new thread, just to ask a couple of questions:

Current BB deal runs out in August so thinking of switching up then, Befibre fitted FF last year.

Had a look at deals on a comparison website and and none of the others seem to offer FF to me when I click the deals.

However, befibre will. Is that becuase as they put it in, it's classed as "their" infrastructure? - Seems odd...

Anyway, as their offer is easily the best, I would be going with them. But still curious...

Ok questions.

1. Will I lose my landline? I don't use it of course, but I would still like to keep it, for emergencies.

2. Is it wi-fi only? Or can I still connect PC via ethernet cable as I've always done.

3. Is the installation generally pretty straightforward without too much mess or disruption?

Thanks.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato

Current BB deal runs out in August so thinking of switching up then, Befibre fitted FF last year.

Had a look at deals on a comparison website and and none of the others seem to offer FF to me when I click the deals.

However, befibre will. Is that becuase as they put it in, it's classed as "their" infrastructure? - Seems odd...

Anyway, as their offer is easily the best, I would be going with them. But still curious...

Ok questions.

1. Will I lose my landline? I don't use it of course, but I would still like to keep it, for emergencies.

2. Is it wi-fi only? Or can I still connect PC via ethernet cable as I've always done.

3. Is the installation generally pretty straightforward without too much mess or disruption?

Thanks.

Why would a company building it's own fibre network only selling it's services on it be odd? They aren't CityFibre or Openreach, they don't wholesale to other ISP's, they don't have to, that's how alt-net's work, they build it, they own it, they choose who can use it and if they want to let any other provider re-sell it, it belongs to them.

1. Yes, if you don't port the number over to VOIP or if Be-fibre don't support VOIP. This emergency you speak of better not include the power being off though or your VOIP service is useless without a UPS covering your router and phones, so consider if you actually need it vs the mobile phone that pretty much everyone has charged with them at any time.

2. Why would it be wifi only? They clearly state wifi6 capable Linksys router, not an access point.

3. Generally based on the two installs I have had from Factco and CF, pretty simple and straight forward with minimal mess and disruption, but we don't live with you. For all we know you have a moat and feral neighbours who hunt down unsuspecting installers along your 3 mile drive, and that's not going to work so well. Average house with direct access to the path/pole depending on how Be-fibre install? Dead easy.

Associate

Ok questions.

Thanks.

Also thinking of BEFibre as they have just rolled out down my street.. did you go for it in the end ?

Back
Top Bottom