Modern board features?

Soldato
It's a long time since I've built a new PC and I need to do it for a new project. I know my basics of course, but I'm quite out of the loop.

I'm probably going to get a ryzen 7600X and to be frank the cheapest motherboard that will take it.

I'm not after any features, no overclocking etc.

Have things changed in terms of turbo speeds etc to the point there's value in buying the higher up chipsets? In other words are there any features in the higher priced boards that might be relevant?

Man of Honour
Something some boards have, usually the more expensive unfortunately, is a separate button to unlatch the PCI-e x16 slot without having to mess about trying to get access under the GPU.

Soldato
OP
Ah that's not an issue - it'll be going in a virtual pinball table, and the GPU shouldn't be coming and in and out very often, but even if it does need to I'll have plenty of access.

Man of Honour
Have things changed in terms of turbo speeds etc to the point there's value in buying the higher up chipsets? In other words are there any features in the higher priced boards that might be relevant?
A620 has limited ability to change the settings, but you can overclock the memory. The VRM may also be too weak to power high-end CPUs, which could limit their performance.

B650/B650E and X670/X670E support all the features and even the cheap B650 boards usually have decent VRMs.

Associate
The decent B550 will give more options for feature CPU upgrades. And me personally I would go for 7600 non X - there is a slight performance difference and less power as well lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom