Mondeo ST TDCI

Soldato
OP
Car isn't for me, it's for my brother. Currently has an Audi A3 on lease but is changing jobs and wants a sub £8k.

He covers 19,200 miles a year for work alone, so diesel is warranted on this occasion

Soldato
OP
From the outside it sounds particularly bad, noticeably worse than others. The Transit comment is pretty spot on.

The new German diesels are the only diesel engined cars I have ever experienced being slightly quiet (for a diesel).

So considering a diesel car is a must, the fact it's loud isn't really worth noting, as all diesels around this price will have a horrible noise!!!

Soldato
OP
I see where you are coming from that diesels will be more prone to faults and failures. And with having more expensive parts that can go bang than a petrol.

But I'm sure I could ask about a 2.0 petrol mondeo and be given plenty of horror stories too.

The amount of diesel cars out there now, you would think that some of them must have a life free of problem otherwise why would people continue to go about buying them? My dad has a 1.9 octavia diesel, which has covered 90k+ miles and has never had a mechanical problem in his lifetime. The only thing that has ever got wrong was a fuse (electrical problem) and this could have also gone wrong in a petrol.....

Soldato
OP
At the end of the day it's your/your brother's decision. All people here are trying to do is make it clear that when you buy a more complex car, you *can* be buying into something that is more prone to throwing problems, which will eat into any fuel savings.

I fully understand this. But I would personally think with such a high annual mileage the risks of diesel ownership would NOT outweigh the benefits of cheaper running costs.

Worst case scenario i suggest my brother buys a petrol mondy, and it goes bang!! Then he's got bills to pay, and his economy is far worse off.
Best case scenario he gets the diesel and no problem occur..

Isn't every car a risk game, obviously the diesel being more of a risk to an N/A petrol car of equivalent age and spec...

The turbo in my Focus ST could go bang at any time, and it's safe to say I certainly don't have the spare cash at the moment to have that fixed. So should I buy a Civic Type R in case of this occurrence???

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;21582821 said:
That said I'm not sure that with near 20k its right to avoid diesel - perhaps just buy the right diesel, of which I am not sure the Mondeo is. It has more than its fair share of issues.

What would be the right diesel?

I just assumed with the Mondeo getting rave reviews, that a diesel mondeo would be the car of choice...

Soldato
OP
Thanks Fox

A more reliable derv engine is a good shout. I wasn't aware of the reliability of Ford diesels compared to the PD engines...

Is there a 130 pd engine? Is that the "quickest". He seems to be wanting to keep, (I say this with holding a lot of laughter) the "speed" of his A3 diesel...

Back
Top Bottom