Motherboard broken

Associate
Hi all can anyone help, my pc just about turns on( the fans go on and the lights ) but then nothing on the screen or anything boots up the cpu light is red on the motherboard as well and I think the whole computer freezes but that’s it. There are no solutions I can see on the internet that correspond with my mine

Man of Honour
Is this a new computer or an old computer?

If a new computer, did it ever work?

Did anything happen prior to this problem occurring?

A few suggestions:
- Check you have BOTH the 4/8 pin for the CPU and the 20/24 pin for the motherboard connected (and at the motherboard end and the PSU end).
- Try adjusting the cooler to make sure the mount is even and not too tight or too loose.
- Try HDMI instead of DP and vice versa.
- Try using the onboard graphics (if they exist for your CPU/motherboard) instead of the graphics card.
- If you have flashback, you could try updating the BIOS, especially if this is a new build and might have an incompatible CPU.

Soldato
Unfortunately, this sort of thing is very tricky. The motherboard, CPU and RAM are highly dependant on each other and when one fails it can be difficult to tell which. Usually, though, it is the motherboard.
It can be an expensive process to find out which, because of there is little course of action other than to replace things until it starts working again. Start with the most likely to fail.
You have to weigh up the potential cost of doing this against the cost of updating the PC by replacing all three for more modern components.

Last edited:
Soldato
As said, has this worked before? New build? Anything changed recently?

1. Unplug everything that can be unplugged
2. Plug power cables and 1 stick of RAM and test to see if it passes POST. If not, try a different stick. Repeat until you have tried every stick you have.

If no luck with the above, unclip/screw the CPU heatsink, remove and check the CPU/socket for anything unusual. Reinstall the CPU and heatsink (you'll get away without fresh thermal paste for testing. Repeat step 1 and 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom