Moved from a NAS to self hosting my own cloud (Nextcloud)

Man of Honour
I thought this may be interesting for anyone who hasn't heard of Nextcloud (probably most of you have I guess). Just showing some Nextcloud appreciation :)

For a quite I have been using my old HP N40L Microserver as an Unraid NAS. It is reasonably low power but I've heard different stats on its power usage. With four 3.5" HDD's the power draw is higher than I would like. So I tend to leave it powered off and only bring it online using WoL when I want to use it. I had also setup a VPN into the house and that allowed me to access the drive while I was connected remotely.

But recently I went on a bit of a learning exercise for a solution that suits me better. I stumbled across Nextcloud which can do many things, one of which is to host your own cloud storage similar to Google Drive, One Drive, etc. I also had a spare Dell Wyse 5070 leftover from another project. These seem to run as very low power (I've seen estimates as low as 3.5w at idle although I suspect mine is higher due to upgraded SSD, RAM and an external HDD). So I've set this up to run Proxmox running Nextcloud as a container. Because of the low power requirements I'm happy to just leave it running all the time. So far I have:

Completed

* Attached a 5tb 2.5" external USB HDD and made this available to Nextcloud for user file storage. I chose this because of the low power requirements and silent operation.
* Setup a domain (let's call it hadesdomain.org for now - that's not the real name of course) and pointed this to my home IP.
* Passed through the HTTPS port from my house router to the Nextcloud instance.
* Added a shortcut to https://nextcloud.hadesdomain.org (not the real name) on all of my machines file explorers so it is a network drive. I can now access any files on Nextcloud as though they were on my local drive.
* Setup my Android phone so it automatically uploads any photos or videos taken to https://nextcloud.hadesdomain.org

So far it's working really well and I can access any data on the Nextcloud instance using a file explorer on any machine that has a data connection, or from my phone. I can also access it over a web page. It also works fantastically to share any files between machines. I am aware of the increased risk exposing it to the internet and there isn't anything sensitive on there. Confidential information will stay on the NAS which is powered down most of the time and not exposed to the internet outside of a VPN.

Next steps are

* Add a second 2.5" USB HDD to allow for a nightly backup from the main data file area to this second drive.
* Setup a script to wake up the N40L Unraid NAS every week so that there is an automated weekly backup to the NAS.
* Relocate the NAS to the garage (it is physically detached from the house so safe(ish) if something were to happen to the house itself).
* Setup Dynamic DNS. Currently my home internet has a dynamic IP. The IP never changes. It has remained the same for months. But I would prefer not to take the chance.
* Once backups are in place then provide my family with accounts to start using it. One of the use cases is for my wife and daughter to backup their photos to this instead of expensive Apple storage. Also because the files can be uploaded one-way then they can delete old photos from the phone and still access them - I'm sure this must be possible using Apple storage but so far if they delete a photo from the phone it seems to sync with Apple storage and delete it there too. My daughter lives away most of the year at Uni, so it was important for her to be able to backup photos automatically over the internet without needing to connect over a VPN.

I already had the Dell Wyse 5070. Proxmox and nextcloud were free. There was a minimal annual fee for the domain name. The only real cost was the 2.5" 5tb USB HDD (and a second one for backup). It's been quite an interesting learning project and it has been working well for a couple of weeks so far. Learning was the real driver behind it as I'm sure I could have come to a similar solution with the Unraid NAS. albeit not silent and at a higher power cost. Basically this solution is like Google Drive but with much more storage, backups under my own control and version controlled files.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whilst I certainly appreciate the self-learning (that’s the part of IT I’ve always found interesting), I can’t help but feel that all you’ve ended up with is a bunch of single points of failure, with less app integration than something like Synology (and certainly less slick). You have admittedly reduced power consumption though!

For reference, my cabinet (Unifi UDM Pro, Unifi 24 Port PoE switch that powers threee CCTV cameras and 4 Wireless APs, two raspberry Pi 3s running failover PiHole, two Synology RS815+ in a failover cluster with 4x 6TB disks each, and another Synology RS815 with 4x 3TB disks dedicated to CCTV) consumes 350-400W. A single synology would be around 75-100W most of the time, which for the capability, storage and resilience it brings seems worthwhile.

I’m still going to take a look at NextCloud though as your post has intrigued me!

Soldato
Just a note regarding photos and Apple. iOS should automatically manage storage and upload your pics to iCloud. If storage is at a premium then photos will be automatically removed from your phone but still accessible via the cloud/ Photos app in a completely transparent process. If a pic is manually deleted then it will be deleted on the cloud storage by design. Maybe there’s a setting on your iPhones that’s not on?

Back OT, Nextcloud is a project that’s been on my radar for years now but I’ve always struggled with the fact that it’s a single point of failure. If something happens to your home set up then that’s a lot of data lost. I’ve read of cases where it’s been installed in an offsite hosted environment which would make more sense but then your back to the issue of paying for storage…

Soldato
I have been toying with the idea of a custom NAS box, but not for photos - as a Plex media server. I was looking at N100 motherboards which has 4 x 2.5GbE ports, 6 x SATA ports a s 2x nvme and can connect to normal pc PSUs. They have 115x mounting holes for coolers but the power draw is very low. I already have a case and a PSU. Was looking in to unraid vs true NAS. I guess the next cloud is something that can be put on a container with pro mix as well.

Man of Honour
OP
Just a note regarding photos and Apple. iOS should automatically manage storage and upload your pics to iCloud. If storage is at a premium then photos will be automatically removed from your phone but still accessible via the cloud/ Photos app in a completely transparent process. If a pic is manually deleted then it will be deleted on the cloud storage by design. Maybe there’s a setting on your iPhones that’s not on?

Back OT, Nextcloud is a project that’s been on my radar for years now but I’ve always struggled with the fact that it’s a single point of failure. If something happens to your home set up then that’s a lot of data lost. I’ve read of cases where it’s been installed in an offsite hosted environment which would make more sense but then your back to the issue of paying for storage…
My daughter takes a lot of videos at concerts and is always running out of storage on her iPhone. Maybe it is iCloud storage she is running out of then, rather than just on her phone?

I have the user files on an external USB hard drive mounted to /media/userfiles. When I get the second drive I intend to use rsync to do a nightly differential backup of just that mount point to it. I will also backup the Nextcloud guest itself (after unmounting the external drive) and copy that backup to the NAS so it is available offline. That way I can recreate the Nextcloud instance really easily. All I would need to do would be reinstall Proxmox somewhere, restore the last Nextcloud backup and remount the external drive. That's partly why I've installed it in Proxmox rather than directly on the device. If I couldn't do that for some reason then both USB hard drives are in EXT4 format so any Linux machine could get access to the files. Finally, as I will also do a weekly backup to my NAS (which I will relocate to my detached garage) then the files will be available there too.

So I will have two automated backups (a nightly one and a weekly one) on other physical media at my house without having to pay for online storage.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I have been toying with the idea of a custom NAS box, but not for photos - as a Plex media server. I was looking at N100 motherboards which has 4 x 2.5GbE ports, 6 x SATA ports a s 2x nvme and can connect to normal pc PSUs. They have 115x mounting holes for coolers but the power draw is very low. I already have a case and a PSU. Was looking in to unraid vs true NAS. I guess the next cloud is something that can be put on a container with pro mix as well.
Yes you could run Nextcloud in the same machine as the NAS. You could even use the NAS as external storage for Nextcloud. My setup evolved from parts I already had. I'm not sure on the power draw of your proposed system but they look interesting. I will take a look at them thanks.

Soldato
Currently I have a ext4 hdd mounted to a RPi4 connected via its usb 3 interface. But the drive doesn’t seem to spin down after a period of inactivity. This happened after the bookworm upgrade. This is one of the reasons I was looking at either a proper NAS setup or a diy version. Also having just 1 disk does have risks.

Man of Honour
OP
Currently I have a ext4 hdd mounted to a RPi4 connected via its usb 3 interface. But the drive doesn’t seem to spin down after a period of inactivity. This happened after the bookworm upgrade. This is one of the reasons I was looking at either a proper NAS setup or a diy version. Also having just 1 disk does have risks.
My Unraid drives spin down OK but my Nextcloud drive isn't. That's a good point and something I still need to look at.

Yes a single drive is very risky.

Back
Top Bottom