My collie 16 years died

Soldato
You have my sympathies, Easy.
We lost all three of ours over the previous year, to various ailments, and the girls still haven't gotten over it.
They say dogs are only a part of your world, while you are their entire world, but for many of us it's much more than just a little part!

16 years is a fine run for a Collie and I bet he loved living with you!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Our Collie will be 11 this year. Vet said she has the body of a 7 year old but will take that with a pinch of salt.

You do start to worry about these things the older they get and dogs have such a short life. If mine can live to 16 I will be happy.

Collies are such a unique breed that it will be a hard one to replace.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry to hear this. 16 is a really good age of course but it's still awful.

Our 11 year old Labrador went in for an operation today which we thought was laryngeal paralysis, but we received a call that they found fluid on the lung and a mass on her heart. It doesn't sound good.

That's a good age for a dog but its never a good time for them to go. My cat is dying of stomach cancer. She has a large lump there but she was so traumatised by her visit to the vets, we feel it's kinder to give her the best life we can before it's too late. She has become so thin, you can feel her every bone through her fur. She is only 12. She has a sister of the same age who has Diabetes but is healthy other than that.

Personally, I feel pets can often mean more to you than a family member. I know me and my partner will be in a right state when little Dusty goes.

Last edited:
Associate
Feel for ya OP. I lost my best friend of the last 18+ years my dog Tyke just over 2 months ago, he made it to 2 months short of his 19th birthday! To be honest, now i can look back and reflect, he suffered a lot and probably should have been euthanised a bit earlier than he was, maybe a month or so earlier. The tears have dried up but i think about him often throughout the day. He was with me through some very turbulent periods in my life when he was the only good thing I knew, for many years he was the only reason I chose to leave my house (to walk him). I lost my dad when when I was 19 and losing Tyke was no less painful. Time will help how you feel OP, sending a virtual hug to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
We lost our Beagle Brodie last year. We expected to get a few more years out of him and it was quite sudden that he went down hill.
We had dropped him at the vets for a CT scan and as we were leaving I heard the Vet say to him " Come on, Dont worry they are coming back for you later"
Then we got the call that it was bad and we were making plans to bring him home to say goodbye and let our local vet PTS at home... We didn't get the chance.

I've never felt pain like that and I'm crying again now writing this. We hurriedly agreed to have him cremated and then we changed our mind on having him go from the vet to the crem. I needed to say goodbye properly the sense of loss was overbearing. I'm his Dad, My job was to look after him... I felt like I had failed...

So we rung the vet up and said were going to collect him. To which they asked if we could leave it another day as he had been in cold storage ( I work in the Veterinary industry, I knew what that meant and it wasn't an issue)

So we collected him the next day and had a few hours at home with my still frozen best mate...( we can laugh about that part) Whats funny about that is he was frozen in a position we'd seen him in so many times. Paws crossed, Ear bent backwards, head like it was on a pillow...

I got to stroke his big soft ears for a while and say my goodbyes until his nose had defrosted then it was time to take him...It still hurts massively and he has a special place on one of our fireplaces in his Urn with a picture so we can still talk to him.... Although we can now leave food on the table without it going missing...

RIP to all the Goodest Boys/Girls we've all lost.

Caporegime
OP
Here goes...

He had a wonderful life...and I loved him...From a Local farm...we collected him and brought his glorious nature into our lives...My daughter was 8yrs old

He died in my arms with my daughter now 24 by my side...

bLxfPiz.jpeg

I2cePA2.jpeg

RIP Zappa- You will always be my best mate.

Associate
Sorry for your loss mate. But 16 years is a hell of an innings. He was a beautiful looking dog though. And I doubt most of us will be lucky enough to have a human friend as loyal as a dog friend

Back
Top Bottom