National Express will fine you if you don't print your ticket...

Associate
I find this hilariously ridiculous - I got on the coach to go from Loughborough to London yesterday, to be told that the PDF of my printable ticket isn't technically valid and that in a few weeks inspectors that get on can fine you £20 for not having printed it.

I get that they have the mobile tickets that you can pay an extra 50p each time for..but given that we live in a smart phone age I can't believe they will potentially fine you!

It's not like they take the ticket off you, mark it, do ANYTHING at all, and even if you were to create a fake ticket, printed of not it makes no difference at all.

As well as this, the other week a girl had lost her ticket and got a reference number from the telephone support, and the driver wouldn't let her on until he saw it transferred from a note on her phone, to a piece of paper.

She used an old tissue... and it was validated -_-

Associate
OP
same, but prices compared to the train make it a no brainer, I have to go back to Loughborough at the weekend and it makes it slightly more viable to do so. The level of logic amazes me even for them.

Associate
OP
I wish I could go back to the trains, the time doesn't bother me too much as I take it as time to catch up on shows that I haven't watched yet, but can vouch for most of the customers as well. Monday morning I was graced with the sound of a child screaming for an hour straight. That being said I took a first class train a couple weeks back, and even in there I was met by a cohort of 7 children all deciding that the most fun thing ever would be to see who could be the loudest.

I miss my car =[

Associate
OP
Why would you not just print off your ticket?

Were you setting out to try and be a smart ass in the first place?

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass.. after asking a coach driver once for future reference whether this method was acceptible and being told yes, most people do this, I continued to do so. I don't have a printer at home but do at work. Though if I don't need to print one why would I waste the paper?

Before you say it, yes I know it states has to be printed, but the issue is the fact that they are planning on making a conscious effort to be inflexible with their policy, which has clearly not been updated to adhere to what I would consider to be a perfectly acceptable standard for something that has no security hologram, chip, information etc.. on it. They don't even scan the barcode on the ticket.

To top it off, the money they are losing by people not choosing their m-tickets will be increased by the amount they are going to spend on bringing additional staff members on to check.

It still doesn't stipulate that it has to be printed on paper.

How about printing to an XPS document? :p

To be fair dude I do go to print - PDF so technically it has been printed :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Well that's fair enough that you have asked in the past and been told it's ok, but clearly now things are changing for the worse and they are going to enforce the printed ticket ruling (onto what most people would interpret as printed on paper).

I'm not saying you are like a person I described in post 23, but it seems all you read about now in the 'press' is how tech savy people are beating companies up over their policies that do not take the latest technology into account in cerain situations.

I'm sure there are people that set out to do that, and in turn that creates the possibility of drawing everyone else under the same veil and trying to do something like that just because they can

I think the thing that gets me the most is that it seems as though they are setting out specifically to stop people, even though logic would dictate it's a perfectly acceptable way of doing things, but of course, one persons logic isn't necessarily the same as the other :)

Associate
OP
Nah that makes sense =] An again, the thing that reinforces it there is that (I believe) they will have scanned the barcode at the gig, correct? Whereas for National Express they use the unique code that is generated at the head of your ticket.

If they did have scanners, you can't scan regularly shaped barcodes on screens - my clubcard app can testify to that! So it would need to be a QR style one like Subway or Starbucks use, which again would be them needing to update the tech they use, or develop an app etc..

Back
Top Bottom