Network running slow

Associate
OP
I'm sorry. I haven't been noticing. I've only noticed the speeds as shown in browser based speed tests. I'll note when I'm able to get back on it after the bank holiday. I'd only registered that via a long patch lead it was c. 900Gbps and via my link cable that dropped to c.85Gbps.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for bearing with me.... New cable (Excel) arrived and installed using the old Euromods as the new ones from CableMonkey haven't arrived yet. I'm getting 8 green lights and 94Mbps. I checked the speeds in Windows and with the long patch lead I get 1000/1000 but with the link cable swapped into the same port on the hub I get 100/100. Does this rule out everything except the mods and my terminating?
EDIT: I've just reterminated everything again and got a full 1000/1000. The finger of guilt points at my terminating abilities.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you replaced the patch leads at each end? (Or at least tested them with your tester?)
Yes tested and swapped out. Having got 1000/1000 and screwed it back on the wall, its dropped back to 100/100 so I'm pretty sure I just have to do better at the terminating and with luck the new euromods and new punchdown tool will help when they arrive.

Associate
OP
Jqseh2.jpg

A Thank you. Thanks to all who contributed so generously. We're finally up and running here with the Excel Cat6 cable and the Euromods from Cable Monkey. A final piece was two interconnects between socket and PC that gave only 100/100 and a third swap that gave 1000/1000. A few lessons learned here.

Soldato
I've never seen 8 green lights and not had gigabit. How does that work then?
I've seen the opposite where the cheap ethernet tester falsely shows some LEDs not lighting up, but it's the tester itself that is faulty internally on the PCB or the RJ45 socket on the tester playing up. Wasted a lot of a weekend on that once before. :(

Associate
OP
Both the long patch leads worked perfectly when routed straight from the switch to the PC. They only dropped to 100/100 when routed from the new extension to the PC. A cumulative effect?

Back
Top Bottom