New 1440 Gaming PC spec required

Associate
Hello all,

It's been maybe 6 years since I built my last rig and looking for a new one. Mine will then go to my eldest son, then his can go to my youngest who hasn't got one yet. So... my justification to my wife is that 3 people will get an upgrade :D

Anyway, I'm looking at building something that will run 1440P at good frame rates. I don't need a monitor or mechanical hard drives. I'm looking at the new Hyte Y70 as the case, probably an AIO Cooler for the CPU with 3 fans and rad at the top, then fans at the back, side and underneath. I've currently got a watercooled CPU zand GPU, but I think I'd rather simplify and leave the GPU without water cooling. I think I'd also rather stick with black components rather than try to find white to match the white case, this should give me more options. I can't actually see the black case as a pre-order.

Any suggestions on CPU? I've read good things about the AMD 7800X3D. Should I be looking at 32Gb RAM as a minimum? What about GPU? I've used nVidia and AMD, so not bothered which camp.

I've currently got an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus Crosshair VI Hero mobo, 4x 8Gb DDR4 RAM, Radeon Vega 64 GPU. I'm running Win 10 on a 2Tb Lexar NM610 Pro, plus an older 1Tb Sandisk SSD Plus as a games and data overflow.

I've got my eye on the EK Water Blocks EK-Nucleus CR360 Lux D-RGB All In One CPU Water Cooler but have no experience with AIO units, so open to suggestions.

And maybe these as the fans: Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 Addressable RGB Black 120mm Fan Triple Pack with Controller

Hyte H70 case here:

Budget - £1500 to £2000 I guess, but I'd rather not spend more than £600 on a GPU... that still makes me shake lol. Although I'm aware that the case is £350, so maybe I'll be lucky to max out at £2k!

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Jed

Man of Honour
Should I be looking at 32Gb RAM as a minimum?
100% yes. Though, I'd even consider 64GB, since current DDR5 systems don't like running 4 sticks.

What about GPU? I've used nVidia and AMD, so not bothered which camp.
For £600 max: 7900 GRE (7900 XT is just out of budget), or 4070 Super (4070 Ti is just out of budget).

Caporegime
I'm confused by the set of priorities that would make you want to spend £350 on a case and £140 on a cooler, but balk at £600 for a GPU. IMO, you'd be much better spending a bit more on the GPU/CPU and going with a £150 case and a £50-60 air cooler.

My 3070 runs all the games I play at 1440p with good frame rates on higher graphics settings, so a 4070 super should provide all the grunt you need with a bit of headroom. A 4060Ti will also manage fine if you don't mind turning down a couple of settings on some games or using DLSS. AMD offerings are probably better bang for buck if you don't care about raytracing.

Soldato
Priorities are weird. Just get the case, cooler and fans plus a 5800x3d and then spend the rest on a more expensive gpu.

30 quid a fan for some copper and leds which should cost 5-15 is fine, but more than 600 (which isn't even the historic high end price adjusted for inflation), is too much?

Or, go cheaper on the case and cooler and fans, spend an extra couple hundred on the gpu, and do as you suggested and get a 7800x3d plus ram and mobo etc.

Back
Top Bottom