New active speakers: advice welcome

Associate
Hi all,

I'm increasingly using my PC for gaming, work and music and so want to upgrade my speakers.

I currently use a pair of Edifier r1600tiii which are good, but looking for something with more oomph/better separation/increased quality.

If I said I had a budget of £500-£1000, then what would your suggestions be? (clearly it would be nice to keep things on the lower end if possible!)

I have been considering the KEF LSX ii but weould welcome any other possibilities!

With thanks,

James

Soldato
The only advice I can give when spending that kind of money on desktop speakers is not to buy blind, best to go to a Hi-fi shop and ask for a demonstration 1st. Having said that, said speakers will sound different at home to how they sound in in the shop. Some hi-fi shops do 'at home' demonstrations for a deposit. Best to contact and find out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd recommend amp and passive speakers tbh.

Means you can choose amp of your choice so it has enough inputs that you will need now and in tha future. For example if you need all this, then you're free to choose an amp with all this

Something like wiim amp will be good starter, although a avr will refer offer more inputs and outputs, room correction, DD/DTS decoding and multi channel, zone two, etc.

Soldato
For desk use your want monitor speakers, add some desktop stands also, don't just plonk them on the desk.

There's stereo amplifiers also, may want one with a dac so pc, consoles etc, but not many stereo amps have multiple hdmi in

A avr is a ok all rounder, with I/o flexibility. Able to add a sub and it'll have all bass management routing and room EQ...which a stereo amp and active speakers will lack

Last edited:
Associate
I would second the separate amp and speakers - amp in those little speakers have a quite high failure rate and once it happens, you need to buy new one.

Soldato
If using close range, I would advise nearfield monitors, rather than Hi-Fi.

I have the Dynaudio BM5 MkIII and i'm incredibly happy with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would second the separate amp and speakers - amp in those little speakers have a quite high failure rate and once it happens, you need to buy new one.

Yeah if they're no longer available they're bricks. Saw a high end pair of active speakers the manufacturer said the plate amp isn't available.

The speakers were originally several thousand pounds.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m using Dali Kubik speakers (left and right not the soundbar option).

Great quality and sound imo but that’s subjective. They’d be somewhere near the limit of your budget though.

Best

Wulf

Back
Top Bottom