New Google VR headset

Soldato
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b33d75fe-cc5a-11e5-be0b-b7ece4e953a0.html#axzz44QFknVJj

Looks like Google has made a proper successor to cardboard and is competing in the mobile market to rival not only the Gear VR, but the big boys too.

Key points:

*Google is expected to release its rival headset, alongside new Android VR technology, this year.

*The updated Google headset will be compatible with a much broader range of Android devices than Gear VR, which only works with a handful of recent Samsung Galaxy smartphone models, as the Alphabet unit tries to bring the technology to a wider audience.

*Google is hoping to improve the quality of the mobile VR viewing experience by embedding new software directly into its Android smartphone operating system.

*The creation of a mobile VR headset that works with more than just Oculus software and Samsung phones will mark the opening of a new front in Google’s wide-ranging rivalry with Facebook.

*Some industry analysts predict that mobile VR will achieve mainstream appeal more quickly than the more sophisticated but expensive Oculus Rift or Sony’s PlayStation VR.

*Google is also a significant investor in the more long-term and ambitious concept of “mixed reality”. Last week, it was part of a large group of investors that put nearly $800m into Magic Leap, a Florida-based start-up working on a headset that uses light-field technology to project realistic images directly into the eye.

Associate
Subscribe to read that thread... no thanks.

However if they produce a nicely priced VR googles that can replace my, frankly awful, cardboard then I'll be a purchaser.
Being able to show people stuff whilst out and about is much easier than trying to get them to come round my house to try on the rift or vive.

Back
Top Bottom