New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
I wonder if we are going to get a mirror universe episode in the final season... Considering there was significant amount of it in the first couple of seasons i wonder if we are going to see the future mirror universe and characters?

I have also heard that they have now finished the Section 31 show. I wonder if we will get a trailer at the end of this season.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if we are going to get a mirror universe episode in the final season... Considering there was significant amount of it in the first couple of seasons i wonder if we are going to see the future mirror universe and characters?

I have also heard that they have now finished the Section 31 show. I wonder if we will get a trailer at the end of this season.
There is something mirror universe as in the trailer the Terran Empire logo was spotted on a constitution class ship. Whether they go there or the ship comes here no one knows yet.

Section 31 show isn't happening, instead they turned it in to a movie.

Soldato
So far this season hasn't been anywhere near as awful as the previous 2 seasons.. I still cringe at the over the top Trill story and anytime that Tilly is on the screen. Her script is terrible.

Kinda like the idea of revisiting the TNG episode story, dial down the cringe another 50% and this could have been a decent show.

Caporegime
Reading today that work on a script on a Picard movie is ongoing, makes me think they're potentially going to crap all over what they did with season 3. Especially if Stewart has much say in it as he was against the only thing that made the series watchable, that being a TNG reunion.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
wonder if we will ever see section 31 in the kelvin timeline?

Wasn't Into Darkness basically a Section 31 movie?

The 'Archive' that got bombed was really a Section 31 research site.

'John Harrison' was being blackmailed and used by Section 31 to develop advanced weapons and ships for the secret faction being led by Admiral Marcus.

The Vengeance was constructed at a secret Section 31 space dock black sight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wasn't Into Darkness basically a Section 31 movie?

The 'Archive' that got bombed was really a Section 31 research site.

'John Harrison' was being blackmailed and used by Section 31 to develop advanced weapons and ships for the secret faction being led by Admiral Marcus.

The Vengeance was constructed at a secret Section 31 space dock black sight.
Ah yes, i see what you mean.. They were not specifically called Section 31 but it was the implication of a secret faction within starfleet that was more focused on security and war preparations/readiness.

I loved that ship in into the darkness. I was a bit gutted it got destroyed. Yes, i know, i know it goes against starfleet ethos however i thought it was a bloody great design.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
5x05 - "Mirrors"

Captain Burnham and Book journey into extradimensional space in search of the next clue to the location of the Progenitors’ power. Meanwhile, Rayner navigates his first mission in command of the U.S.S. Discovery, and Culber opens up to Tilly.

Can't quite decide if I like that the Breen are finally getting fleshed out, or if I preferred when they were mysterious and barely-known like in DS9.

MirrorEnterprise looks like the SNWprise. So, we're all-in on invalidating the look of TOS now aren't we? I mean, aside from the USS New Jersey in Picard S3 which looks how it's meant to.

Bottle episode last time, now we're re-dressing SNW sets to use here. A sign that the budget got pinched a bit for Disco's final hurrah?

Saw a comment elsewhere that made something click for me - the antagonists (Moll and L'ak) look and feel like they should be in the Farscape universe instead of the Trek one.

Some face-meltingly awful dialogue this time out even by Disco standards.

In summary - it's pretty much all stupid and terrible and I hate it.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Loved that ship in into the darkness. I was a bit gutted it got destroyed. Yes, i know, i know it goes against starfleet ethos however i thought it was a bloody great design.

Was a great ship. Honestly though, if your entire job is to get sent out to random places where you are constantly coming up against the unknown and your ship is getting a good battering that requires it to be in space dock ever other Tuesday why would you not just make every ship the beefiest strongest thing your technology can build?!

Soldato
Was a great ship. Honestly though, if your entire job is to get sent out to random places where you are constantly coming up against the unknown and your ship is getting a good battering that requires it to be in space dock ever other Tuesday why would you not just make every ship the beefiest strongest thing your technology can build?!
Agreed, it always seemed to me that the federation had the least battle ready ships of the entire universe almost every other race had some form of battleship/cruiser etc but the federation were trying to be some bastion of hope that it didnt need warships.. How did that go with The Borg, The Jem H'dar etc.. Not having any ships that could be considered warships left the federation open to heavy losses.. And dont get me started about having civilians on the Enterprise in TNG while they go out exploring possibly extremely dangerous corners of space.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Agreed, it always seemed to me that the federation had the least battle ready ships of the entire universe almost every other race had some form of battleship/cruiser etc but the federation were trying to be some bastion of hope that it didnt need warships..

Maybe in TNG, thanks to Gene being hip deep in his 'the Federation is a utopia' phase. But in TOS the Enterprise and her sisters either would go toe-to-toe with anything else or comfortably outclass it - we very rarely saw Kirk's Enterprise get badly troubled in a vaguely straight fight. DS9 had the USS Ben Sisko's Mother ******* Pimp Hand laying waste to Dominion fighter craft on the regular (e.g. "The Die Is Cast", when she rocks up to rescue Odo and Garak and simply reduces anything standing in her way to its component atoms). And Voyager wasn't exactly short on armaments in spite of being a mere long range science vessel.

I think part of the problem lies with modern Trek writers thinking that to show how fearsome the threat to our heroes is in an episode they need to make the opposing vessel much larger and more powerful. Whereas IMO the interesting fights in Trek came from ships that had counterbalancing strengths and weaknesses. "Balance of Terror" in TOS is the uber-example - the Romulan ship has a practical invisibility screen and a powerful weapon, the Enterprise is faster and has more endurance, so the fight comes down to the tactics of the respective captains.

Soldato

The Enterprise is a research ship ie space exploration - it just so happens they come into contact with bad mofo's weekly :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
IMO the very best space battle was in The Wrath of Khan. You can have all the fancy CGI effects of Discovery and it just looks like digital vomit on the screen.

Although Picard series 3 nebula battle was pretty good too.

The only real 'problem' with the Wrath of Khan battle is the same one that nearly all Trek after TOS has had - that it's taking place at distances and speeds which make no sense for the ships involved¹. They're far too close and far too slow for anything with impulse engines that let a ship move along at a fair fraction of C.

Doesn't really matter of course since it all looks and feels so bloody good :cool:

¹ - I think this is why I like the Star Fleet Battles approach to it so much - it embraces the idea that battles would be fought at FTL speed using a mixture of direct-fire and seeking FTL weapons over large distances. Mostly because it was taking inspiration in the main from "Balance of Terror".

Caporegime
IMO the very best space battle was in The Wrath of Khan. You can have all the fancy CGI effects of Discovery and it just looks like digital vomit on the screen.

.It's also the only battle in the tos movies that any ship fires phasers. Never did understand that as I always liked the pulse phaser kind of effect they did in WOK. Maybe animating them was hard and doing a torpedo was easier?

Caporegime
Seen a clip of discovery doing the rounds, so after all that time the Breen are just green jelly people? Weren't they meant to be furry? Talk about an anticlimax, just generic humanoids.

Soldato
I’m not up to date with Discovery but I thought the Breen were an inter-species coalition that wore the masks and armour to all appear homogeneous and provide suitable atmospheres? Maybe that was from a book rather than DS9…

Caporegime
I’m not up to date with Discovery but I thought the Breen were an inter-species coalition that wore the masks and armour to all appear homogeneous and provide suitable atmospheres? Maybe that was from a book rather than DS9…

Probably one of the books, I recall them being referred to as furry somewhere along the line. AFAIK the original helmet with that long nose piece their design was supposed to have an elongated nose like a wolf, but was never seen onscreen. Always liked their ds9 design, the discovery design just looks average and ruins the mystery surrounding them.

Back
Top Bottom