New Study/Den

Soldato
Long story, short: We don't let the dog lick our face, or wonder why her breath smells...
OK well either I'm autistic or your son has a completely normal reaction :cry: :cry:. Either is very plausible!

Looks mega, love the colour. The dogs are the icing on the cake. Are they for sale?

Soldato
OP
OK well either I'm autistic or your son has a completely normal reaction :cry: :cry:. Either is very plausible!

Looks mega, love the colour. The dogs are the icing on the cake. Are they for sale?
He was diagnosed age 4. I had to go 40 years before being given my "not just a ****, but an autistic ****" certificate, so it's possible :cry:

Pups will be offered to Poppy's Service Dog trainers first - they loved her temperament & work drive so much, it's why we considered a litter from her. If they meet the strict criteria, then they'll take them on. If they don't, we've got a couple of interested families.

...might see one or two in the Member's Market in a couple of months, being traded for a 4090 :p

(Edit: Just in case there are any overly-literal admins: I'm joking!)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
10 day Pupdate:

All are gaining well - of course the male makes the most noise when he loses a teat :rolleyes:
Poppy is doing brilliantly - although we have to be watchful as she'll pick a pup up to show me (like she does with my Crocs when I get home), or she steals dirty socks from the laundry basket (her favourite thing, ever) to hide in her whelping pen.

Kids have named them Skye, Everest, Liberty & Rubble, after the Paw Patrol pups.

Really proud of how Poppy's taken to motherhood, but I'll be pleased to have my Wingman back; the sofa's not as cozy without her.

Soldato
OP
2 Week Pupdate:
Gaining nicely, 3 out of 4 have their eyes open. The male ("Rubble") is the noisiest, the girl with white splodge on her forehead ("Skye") is definitely the snuggliest (and will be the hardest to let go of).

Poppy's trainers have a full allocation this year, so we'll need to start vetting families over the next few weeks.

Looking forward to the next bit, where they start weaning and becoming more active: it's brilliant to see their individual characters emerge.

Soldato
OP
Lots more activity now all four have their eyes open. They're rolling around the enclosure, biting each others ears and growling about it - I don't have a YouTube channel to share the video, but it's getting noisier by the day.

Poppy's maintaining weight nicely since we've upped her to 5 raw meals a day - hungry pups can easily deplete Mama of the calories she needs to stay healthy.

I give it 6-7 days before we start weaning - no teeth have broken through just yet (which is what we look for to start them on gentle solids).

Soldato
OP
Today we tried some scrambled egg, as we start to gently wean the pups away from Poppy and onto raw/kibble.

I didn't get to take photos at the time (emergency surgery for my son's cat), but my wife said Everest & Rubble absolutely demolished the plate, getting it everywhere. Poppy had fun cleaning up, too.

Also starting to reduce the blanket area and increase the overall space in the whelping pen, so we can start toilet training. Pups have already started using the same corner to wee on the puppy pad, so we just need to encourage and reward that behaviour.

Soldato
OP
So the Pets4Homes advert went live last night and my phone has been non-stop. Whenever I list the Boss's kittens, I put *all* the information they need, so as to reduce the amount of details we have to give in a phonecall/videocall. It means we can spend more time talking about the animal/ourselves, and help the prospective buyer see that we're genuine. It's equally a chance for us to vet the buyer and decide if we want to move forward and arrange a visit.

Seems puppy adverts get just as many scammers/chancers/eff-wits as the kittens :rolleyes:

...No, I don't want to bring all 4 puppies to a motorway services "so you can compare in person".

...No, you're not having my exact address and the hours I'm at work. Yes, I have 24/7, 360° CCTV.

...Yes, we're "real people" and the puppies do, in actual fact, exist. No, I'm not sending a video "with my passport and today's newspaper clearly on show".

Anyway, it's almost time to take nicer photos, now that the puppies are more active and starting to walk.
This is the setup I use:

And these are a few quick edits of Rubble and Skye (the two we've had genuine interest shown):

Uploading a quick video to YouTube and I'll share it here once done (excuse the huffing & puffing - just getting over a horrible sinus infection)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4 Weeks (tomorrow) Update:
Everyone's growing steadily and having enormous fun with scrambled egg.
Managed to get some better photos, although they're a little timid in the pop-up studio.

We've got potential buyers visiting this weekend for Rubble & Everest, so fingers crossed they pass muster (and so do we).

The next few weeks are the hectic, exciting & fun period; weaning, toilet training and click/treat response. We'll also gradually increase the time Poppy is brought out of the pen, to increase their appetite and encourage use of the puppy pads for toilet business.

Back
Top Bottom