• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato

MicroCenter’s trade-in value for GeForce RTX 4090 is just $699, 1/3 of its cost​

:cry:

Newegg offers up to $1500 for a trade in 4090 and used 4090's sell for an average of $1800 on eBay

Last edited:
Soldato

MicroCenter’s trade-in value for GeForce RTX 4090 is just $699, 1/3 of its cost​

:cry:

Keep in mind they also have to sell it afterwards for a decent profit, how much you'd want to get?

Soldato
If he spent $2100 on it, that's $1400 of fun and relaxation. Probably similar cost to other activities for someone with a high income. Or even less.

This is what I don't understand when I see people advocating selling a 4090 now before its value drops when the 5090 is announced & launched.

Yes, you may make a few hundred quid more by selling it now but you're then denying yourself the use of it in the interim.
That money vs usage equation will be different for everyone but, if you have enough disposable income to afford a 4090 in the first place, you're unlikely to want to live without it for six months just to recoup a few hundred quid.

Soldato
This is what I don't understand when I see people advocating selling a 4090 now before its value drops when the 5090 is announced & launched.

Yes, you may make a few hundred quid more by selling it now but you're then denying yourself the use of it in the interim.
That money vs usage equation will be different for everyone but, if you have enough disposable income to afford a 4090 in the first place, you're unlikely to want to live without it for six months just to recoup a few hundred quid.
The cherry on top would be the higher price of scalpers and such due to the usual high demand/low stoc. Or even not being able to get it for a while.

Soldato
I bought a Thermal Grizzly delidding tool and direct die block from OCUK for my 7950x3D and decided to use liquid metal for the first time in my PC history. Delidding was easy with the tool and LM concerns seem overrated if you're careful lol. My CPU temps are great now.

But I also put LM on my Waterforce 4080, and that's opened up some fun with the 1000w BIOS as it has a 1.2v limit https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/255340/255340

Time Spy - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/110314910?
Time Spy Extreme - https://www.3dmark.com/spy/47328126
Port Royal - https://www.3dmark.com/pr/2911819

0m18b3Z.png

All it cost me was a peak of 630w and an 80 degree hotspot.

But I'd say those temp peaks are really good for pumping at most 1.185v into the core @ 600w+ :eek:

I'd be surprised if thats game stable, games can be so finnicky unlike benchmarks. I've had high clocks run fine on a benchmark but completely crap the bed on a game.

Great clocks and score though, gotta be some sort of record!

Associate

Everyone has to decide for themselves. I've made the switch and I'm surprised how seemless it was, can still run the games I need to at max frames with FSR. I guess due to the higher frame rates I haven't had any issues with the technology (in quality mode)

So I'm ok having lost the other features nvidia provides for half a year or so anyway.

If you always need RTX HDR and Ray tracing and the added performance and the better frame gen, you only have two choices and both aren't AMD. Not even talking about cuda dependent tasks (which I did need at one point but not at the moment luckily)

Soldato
Everyone has to decide for themselves. I've made the switch and I'm surprised how seemless it was, can still run the games I need to at max frames with FSR. I guess due to the higher frame rates I haven't had any issues with the technology (in quality mode)

So I'm ok having lost the other features nvidia provides for half a year or so anyway.

If you always need RTX HDR and Ray tracing and the added performance and the better frame gen, you only have two choices and both aren't AMD. Not even talking about cuda dependent tasks (which I did need at one point but not at the moment luckily)

Are you sure you're replying to the correct post?

I wasn't referrring to switching from NVidia to AMD at all.

Back
Top Bottom