O2 are bloody awful

Man of Honour
What's the best way to get in touch with someone at O2 who knows what they're doing? Since I joined a fortnight ago I'm trying to get my contact number updated in my portal. It wouldn't accept the number I was porting across so I used my work number in the meantime. Trying to get it updated to my actual number is impossible. I've tried Twitter, Facebook, and ringing them. No one seems to care or listen, they make up stuff and then say it'll be sorted in *insert random number of days here*. Which it isn't.

I've also added a second SIM to my account to get loyalty discount and I added my mrs' PAC code on sign up. SIM has arrived, no number transfer has occurred. Again, if I ring them, they seem utterly clueless and couldn't be less interesting in helping.

What truly terrible company to deal with, good riddance we both have excellent deals.

Soldato
Alas, you’re a decade too late to find anyone with a clue at O2.

Telefonica has long since squeezed all the profit out of the network to keep their home network afloat and any staff able to breath, think and walk simultaneously jumped ship long ago.

Man of Honour
OP
I've rang them earlier, apparently there was an issue with the details for the porting. Really handy that they didn't bother letting me know. Still non the wiser about my contact number on my account.

What an utterly terrible experience so far. At least the data speed seem a little better than the last time I was with them.

Man of Honour
My Virgin contract got moved over to them recently - total shambles - only slight redeeming feature is getting unlimited everything for £13/m but the speeds so far haven't been great so not sure unlimited data counts for much. Fortunately only use that phone as a backup.

Some emails were missing as to what I needed to do to access/activate my ported over account, while other emails with information less relevant were sent multiple times and/or had an email to tell me they were going to send that email... but it wasn't even anything important and had a moment where it needed to send me a text with a one time code to activate, but couldn't activate without the code to receive the code...

Last edited:
Soldato
For the record Vodafone arent any better. I've asked them to move my old number over to my new account but in order for me to do that, I had to wait 30 days for that number to be put on PAYG, when I got a Text confirmation I tried to do that only to be told it was still pay monthly. I was furious and one snotty email later I got another text to confirm it on PAYG. I checked my account only to find it was BOTH! So I tried moving it again and I got another email saying they have 'technical issues'. I'm going to wait a few more days before I take this matter up with the ombudsman. When my contract is up I'm jumping ship because I'm fed up with their neolithic incompetence.

Man of Honour
OP
For the record Vodafone arent any better. I've asked them to move my old number over to my new account but in order for me to do that, I had to wait 30 days for that number to be put on PAYG, when I got a Text confirmation I tried to do that only to be told it was still pay monthly. I was furious and one snotty email later I got another text to confirm it on PAYG. I checked my account only to find it was BOTH! So I tried moving it again and I got another email saying they have 'technical issues'. I'm going to wait a few more days before I take this matter up with the ombudsman. When my contract is up I'm jumping ship because I'm fed up with their neolithic incompetence.
Go to EE, I was with them for years, and never an issue.

Mobster
Soldato
In future, talk to the team on Twitter who are based in Slough.

O2 is a network with by far the most live connections of any network and so they are in a uniquely difficult position. If EE had the customers they had, likewise Vodafone, they'd be suffering too. What O2 is doing is rolling out band 40 and small cells as quickly as possible but these things take time and the network sharing arrangement with Vodafone does not help - that will be unwound in time.

If Vodafone is allowed to merge with Three, I hope O2 will receive significant spectrum as right now the situation is not fair.

Last edited:
Soldato
let's kick this thread -
spent 30+60 minutes over last 3 days on phone to their crummy Indian call centre, on poor quality voip lines they seem to use,
neither personnel spoke nor understand regular English, which is exactly what my elderly parents told me they had experienced.

Rang to try and find out why there had been reception/no-network problems at home address for last 4 days which had worked fine for 5 years with same phone,
mostly use voip at home, but for bank stuff need 2fa via the phone.
Net result they think sim card has a problem, and are sending new one that will need pac transfer of existing subscription.
Both personnel trying to up sell some new contract (clearly get some bonus if that happens)

jumping ship - Have a new voxi and lebara sim on the way, that I need to choose between.

Man of Honour
OP
In future, talk to the team on Twitter who are based in Slough.
Is this still true? They also seem incompetent. Every month I get a text, and email, and an app notification that my new bill is ready. There's no way to change that apart from to speak to them and I'm currently on attempt number 3 with the team on Twitter. Previous attempts are 'all sorted' then I have to go round the usual hoops and barriers to get through to someone again and the new bill comes out.

Soldato
How could you ensure it was someone in o2 Slough responding and not an incompetent foreign customer centre ?
I, still need to speak to O2, verbally would be the most efficient, but don't know how to initiate that - a means to request a UK call-back would be great.

In comparison rang plusnet the other day - guy in Leeds who was extremely competent

[e: ok apparently they have S African call centres - lady hadn't heard of the Zulu phonetic, but said she was of that heritage]

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbf each time I’ve I’ve rang o2 which has been rare it’s been fine and any issue sorted on the call there and then.

There chat service been decent as well.

Been with them for many years now. Downside is they cost more than others and don’t do deals as often

Back
Top Bottom